Sponsored

Got to test a 5.0 coming from a 2.7

MJG44

Well-known member
Joined
May 11, 2022
Threads
30
Messages
784
Reaction score
948
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
My 5.0 became a whole new experience with just a throttle controller and a Livernois tune.

I've had the 2.7 and 3.5, found the 2.7 felt too "light", as if I were driving a Toyota sedan.

3.5 was better, but still, the 5.0 just feels very truck.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

jakearb

Well-known member
First Name
Jake
Joined
Feb 22, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
153
Reaction score
149
Location
Colorado
Vehicles
2025 F-150 XL Powerboost
Occupation
Sales Engineer
My 5.0 became a whole new experience with just a throttle controller and a Livernois tune.

I've had the 2.7 and 3.5, found the 2.7 felt too "light", as if I were driving a Toyota sedan.

3.5 was better, but still, the 5.0 just feels very truck.
I'd have a Livernois tune if was available for the 2023 ECM on the ecoboosts. Hopefully someday one of these tuners will be able to get into the 2023 and newer models.
 

Dakar09

Well-known member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Mar 12, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
756
Reaction score
903
Location
Dedham, MA
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
My 5.0 became a whole new experience with just a throttle controller and a Livernois tune.

I've had the 2.7 and 3.5, found the 2.7 felt too "light", as if I were driving a Toyota sedan.

3.5 was better, but still, the 5.0 just feels very truck.
? That bold part right there :rockon:. It makes a HUGE difference, imo. Ford bowed to the EPA overlords with the factory throttle positioning and response. Bypass that, and you'll be amazed.
 

dmac

Active member
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Threads
32
Messages
44
Reaction score
77
Location
USA
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
It is definitely a little lazy on regular Fuel.

I went from a tank of e85 to 87 and was wondering if my intake was blocked turning right out of the gas station - way less torque. Then I remembered the 60lb ft difference between e85 and gas tables.
 

Dakar09

Well-known member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Mar 12, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
756
Reaction score
903
Location
Dedham, MA
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
Dude, it doesn't pick up the new fuel that quickly, lol. Was your tank bone dry before you put the 87 in? I think there might be a bit of a placebo effect going on there, at least initially.
 

Sponsored

dmac

Active member
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Threads
32
Messages
44
Reaction score
77
Location
USA
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Dude, it doesn't pick up the new fuel that quickly, lol. Was your tank bone dry before you put the 87 in? I think there might be a bit of a placebo effect going on there, at least initially.
0 miles to full tank and let it idle for a while.
 

Dakar09

Well-known member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Mar 12, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
756
Reaction score
903
Location
Dedham, MA
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat 5.0L
Alright. I stand corrected.
 

tbeneteau

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Feb 8, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
72
Reaction score
44
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
The Butt-o Meter doesn't lie. The peak torque RPM is the kicker. I have had them all, and I agree the 2.7 and the 5.0 feel very similar. Also, the rear end gearing will make a big difference as well.
2.7 EcoBoost: 325 hp at 5000 rpm, 400 lb⋅ft at 2750 rpm
3.5 EcoBoost: 400 hp at 6000 rpm, 500 lb⋅ft at 3100 rpm
5.0 Coyote: 400 hp at 6000 rpm 410 lb⋅ft at 4250 rpm
 

Jerome10

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2023
Threads
59
Messages
528
Reaction score
216
Location
North Idaho
Vehicles
Powerboost
2.7 is the only engine I've not driven.

I generally really love normally-aspirated engines. There is just something about how they build power in the rev-range that I really like. Turbos tend to be 100% torque at 1500 rpm slam in the pants. They're good in their own way but I find often they're a little boring, they run out of steam, and really don't have much personality. Had 2 normally aspirated I6 BMWs that I LOVED. Then a turbo I6. The turbo was of course faster but I would take the non-turbo any day. The cars just had more personality.

Of course I went 3.5L Powerboost :crackup: For the generator more than anything. If didn't want/need that I would have purchased the Coyote or a RAM HEMI.

Power, slammin torque and 0-60 just isn't what I find enjoyable in a car. I prefer the V6's in older Lexuses to the new turbo 4s. I might argue the most fun I've ever had driving have been in low-power Miatas and wimpy 3 cylinder VW Polos and Ford Fiestas. You can rev them out, beat them up, push them, and enjoy the motors in everyday driving. Even the Coyote is really quick and it doesn't take much and you're seriously speeding.

With that said I honestly think that for most folks, most of the time, the turbo engines are great. They feel peppy off a stop light and nearly nobody revs their engine past about 2500 RPM. I'm frequently amazed at how slowly people accelerate from lights or get on the expressway at 50mph in a 70mph. I don't think they ever see 3000 RPM+ basically ever. Engine character just isn't something they care about. And in trucks I kinda think they may make even more sense if you're towing.
 

Sponsored


JCsTruck

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 26, 2024
Threads
17
Messages
881
Reaction score
883
Location
Worcester MA
Vehicles
2025 Reg Cab 2WD Work Truck XL with 2.7 + 2024 Supercab XL 4x4 with 5.0 V8
Occupation
Project Manager, formerly Construction Superintendent, formerly ASE A1-A8 Tech.
I think there is some factory tune throttle response trickery going on here. Toyota for example is famous for making the throttle sensitivity overly sensitive for off the line response in order to trick the customer into thinking the vehicle is faster than it is.
Ford F-150 Got to test a 5.0 coming from a 2.7 IMG_7845

As you can see the 5.0 makes significantly more torque below 2500 RPM and again makes more torque above 3500 RPM. Its at 3000 RPM that the 2.7 has a small advantage. Then the 5.0 really shines above 3500 RPM all the way to that 6800-7000 RPM redline. For me the 5.0 V8 feels effortless in almost all situations. It doesnt even need to rev above 2000 RPM much and easily keeps up with all traffic. On the highway it loafs along at just 1650 RPM at cruising speeds and never needs to downshift on hills, and it can even accelerate in 10th gear better than my RCLB V6 F-150 can in 6th gear. When I want it to be fast I can pop it in 4WD, power launch it, and 0-60 MPH arrives in 5.41 seconds. The 2.7 cant get below 6 seconds stock and is more like 6.3-6.7 seconds depending on trim.

Now I did drive a 2.7 in a test drive and it didn't feel slow but it didn't wow me over the V8 either. It was however very quiet and a rather relaxed engine, which is great if you want a comfortable and quiet ride. It is a great engine, especially for a base engine. If you live in higher elevations, or need that little bit extra fuel economy, then the 2.7 might be a better choice for you. If you live closer to sea level, want the sound and power of a NA V8 that can rev to 7k, and mabe need a little extra towing capacity, then the V8 is a great choice.

BTW, I owned a 2001 Tundra V8 and loved that truck until the frame rotted out. ??. Toyota wouldn't replace the frame because they said it wasn't in a critical location even though I literally had holes in that frame. That pissed me off and I haven’t seriously considered another Toyota truck since. Toyota knows how to build reliable cars and SUV’s but they still fall short on full size trucks. The current generation Tundra is also butt ugly and the last generation Tundra had a cheap looking plasticky interior. Toyotas powertrains were bulletproof up until the current generation turbo v6.
 
Last edited:

Aonarch

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2024
Threads
13
Messages
615
Reaction score
803
Location
North GA / MT
Vehicles
'24 V8 XLT 302a BAP, Tow | '22 Mustang Mach 1 | '25 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Motorsport Engineer
I think there is some factory tune throttle response trickery going on here. Toyota for example is famous for making the throttle sensitivity overly sensitive for off the line response in order to trick the customer into thinking the vehicle is faster than it is.
IMG_7845.webp

As you can see the 5.0 makes significantly more torque below 2500 RPM and again makes more torque above 3500 RPM. Its at 3000 RPM that the 2.7 has a small advantage. Then the 5.0 really shines above 3500 RPM all the way to that 6800-7000 RPM redline. For me the 5.0 V8 feels effortless in almost all situations. It doesnt even need to rev above 2000 RPM much and easily keeps up with all traffic. On the highway it loafs along at just 1650 RPM at cruising speeds and never needs to downshift on hills, and it can even accelerate in 10th gear better than my RCLB V6 F-150 can in 6th gear. When I want it to be fast I can pop it in 4WD, power launch it, and 0-60 MPH arrives in 5.41 seconds. The 2.7 can get below 6 seconds stock and is more like 6.3-6.7 seconds depending on trim.

Now I did drive a 2.7 in a test drive and it didn't feel slow but it didn't wow me over the V8 either. It was however very quiet and a rather relaxed engine, which is great if you want a comfortable and quiet ride. It is a great engine, especially for a base engine. If you live in higher elevations, or need that little bit extra fuel economy, then the 2.7 might be a better choice for you. If you live closer to sea level, want the sound and power of a NA V8 that can rev to 7k, and mabe need a little extra towing capacity, then the V8 is a great choice.

BTW, I owned a 2001 Tundra V8 and loved that truck until the frame rotted out. ??. Toyota wouldn't replace the frame because they said it wasn't in a critical location even though I literally had holes in that frame. That pissed me off and I haven’t seriously considered another Toyota truck since. Toyota knows how to build reliable cars and SUV’s but they still fall short on full size trucks. The current generation Tundra is also but ugly and the last generation Tundra had a cheap looking plasticky interior. Toyotas powertrains were bulletproof up until the current generation turbo v6.
Exactly. 300 lbs ft at 2000 rpm is really nice. The Coyote has super smooth, linear power delivery and revs all the way out to 7k. The turbo V6s have more torque and feel punchier in the mid band, but like all turbos the power band is not linear. They run out of steam quick.
 

dochawk

Well-known member
First Name
doc
Joined
Jul 20, 2024
Threads
26
Messages
711
Reaction score
517
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Vehicles
f150 soon? 3 classic Cadillacs, Miata, mustang civ
Occupation
retired!
I might argue the most fun I've ever had driving have been in low-power Miatas
Most fun ever was a 1927 Cadillac that I got to put a couple of hundred miles on over two weeks. Stunning torque from that 80hp engine, accelerating uphill at Red Rock . . .

Anyway, I chose a 2006 Miata GT over a 2006 Mustang GT convertible.

It wasn't that it was $25k rather than $30k, although the difference was noticeable at the time.

Rather, you could open the Miata up and wind it out without bothering the highway patrol, whereas the mustang was so powerful that if you opened it up, you were suddenly going an insane speed.
 

Goldeneye36

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 29, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
363
Reaction score
417
Location
NC
Vehicles
2024 XLT Powerboost
I think there is some factory tune throttle response trickery going on here. Toyota for example is famous for making the throttle sensitivity overly sensitive for off the line response in order to trick the customer into thinking the vehicle is faster than it is.
I can attest to the Toyota trickery, lol. When we first started dating my wife had a 2006 Corolla with all of 120hp. That thing was deceptively snappy off the line before immediately falling on its face. Trying to merge onto the highway was a scary affair though. It was a reliable car and easy to work on but I hated driving it.
 

JExpedition07

Well-known member
First Name
James
Joined
Feb 14, 2023
Threads
68
Messages
2,126
Reaction score
3,664
Location
Buffalo NY
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I want to preface this that the 2.7 is a good engine. But….the 5.0 makes more torque for about 75-80% of the available rev range, and that Advatage is both off idle and up high but split by the middle. The V8 is a more powerful engine in stock configuration.

Cubic inches and positive displacement superchargers are very linear. We come off idle with good grunt (especially given the high compression) and it grows linearly. There is no “BAM” surge of power. This same phenomenon is found in the Raptor, lots of EcoBoost guys have said the 3.5 “feels faster” down low and that the 5.2 Predator feels like a dog below 3k rpm, but if you actually accelerate it against an R mildly (2,000-2,200 rpm) the R hits the speed limit faster despite feeling slower. There is no “Surge”, or feeling of a large difference at a low rpm, it was all ready there when the torque converter hits and feels smoother.

The 5.0 make a lot of torque out of its displacement in reality, in fact it makes 82 lb ft per liter which is more torque per liter than any N/A engine across the board in a pickup truck. The 5.7 iForce Toyota made 10 lb ft less with almost a liter more displacement
 
Last edited:

National Superbike

Well-known member
First Name
Curt
Joined
Apr 23, 2024
Threads
19
Messages
301
Reaction score
287
Location
Atlanta, GA
Vehicles
23 F150 SC 2.7EB
Occupation
vintage motorcycle restoration
All the numbers only matter if you are comparing stock to stock with the same octane fuel. Even the stock tune engines run noticeably better with 93. The Stillen tuner adds a lot of HP/TQ for cheap but you do need to run 93 all the time.
Ford F-150 Got to test a 5.0 coming from a 2.7 2.7 tun
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Of course I went 3.5L Powerboost :crackup: For the generator more than anything. If didn't want/need that I would have purchased the Coyote or a RAM HEMI.

Power, slammin torque and 0-60 just isn't what I find enjoyable in a car. I prefer the V6's in older Lexuses to the new turbo 4s. I might argue the most fun I've ever had driving have been in low-power Miatas and wimpy 3 cylinder VW Polos and Ford Fiestas. You can rev them out, beat them up, push them, and enjoy the motors in everyday driving. Even the Coyote is really quick and it doesn't take much and you're seriously speeding.

With that said I honestly think that for most folks, most of the time, the turbo engines are great. They feel peppy off a stop light and nearly nobody revs their engine past about 2500 RPM. I'm frequently amazed at how slowly people accelerate from lights or get on the expressway at 50mph in a 70mph. I don't think they ever see 3000 RPM+ basically ever.
PB cheats hardcore w/ that e-motor's 220ftlbs at idle. Off the line you've got that torque plus the 3.5's motor until it hits its rated torque by ~3k RPM or so and then the computer modulates boost and e-motor to hold that value until it peaks HP around 450. PB rips through gears w/ little throttle just getting to speed w/out so much as hinting it's doing any work. Go into manual mode and begin to accelerate while hitting + until it upshifts to see what happens once it unlocks 5th then go WOT from that low RPM. It should lock TC really close to shifting so you're down in low RPMs to see what it will do.
Sponsored

 
 







Top