Sponsored

PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The HV battery is programmed to operate between ~42-63% SOC

Some circumstances can bring it below 42, and some circumstances can raise it above 63%. But the normal operating range by design is what you are observing.

There's nothing wrong with your HV battery.
Sponsored

 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
The PB's batt will drain and recharge repeatedly at ~24c or so. Starting the average engine puts about 8c into a lead acid, most EVs run 4-8c rates for their little power blasts so the work the PB's batt is doing at 3x the current is the reason that its limits are what they are. Not sure what data ford took as acceptable, but typically reserving 10% either side is overly safe, ford reserves about 10% in total as reserve for EVs The MME's 90% indicated is about 85% actual for instance (Tesla gives customers all but ~1% of the bottom).

Ford is looking at releasing more upper performance for the MME (all OTA capable) as well as giving more to the charging curve. Given the aggressive charge / discharge rates of the PB, I only expect to see the variables move as the battery ages as it's got less capacity and needs to open up to maintain the same performance. The HV system of the PB is a discrete cooling circuit and doesn't warm up with engine coolant, but it can supplement its little rad by cooling the circuit with a gas to water plate heat exchanger that's tapped into the AC system (may be a source of missing AC in the PB in high/hot/heavy conditions).
 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I may take the plunge soon to get the Bluetooth OBD adapter.

One question - has anyone with the Livernois Eboost tune set this up yet? I'd be interested to see what differences there are in the electric side, if the data here might indicate some of the changes.
 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
So, zero impulse control won, again.. I ordered the OBDLink MX+ adapter; delivery tomorrow.

After I get everything set up, what should I monitor to see the changes the Eboost tune makes?
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's not impulse if you mulled it over for anything more than a couple of hours.

A couple of days would just be called splurging. ?

I think if you spend enough time getting intimate with the PIDs I used on my dashboard, and thus knew what the normal values are for factory calibration, you'd be able to spot any changes easy enough.

The top half are ICE related Pids, although the instrument cluster provides the ECT, Transmission Fluid Temperature, and whether the 10r80 is skipping gears or not.

The bottom half are the electricity related Pids, with LV being red and HV being Orange.

You could add a few 10r80 pids that might reveal changes regarding pressures related to shifting and/or torque converter lockup?

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights Screenshot_20230912_105725


I assure you that this dashboard is just a tiny fraction of what is available with OBDLink.
@turbopilot has one quite a bit more advanced than this. But then he's a Turbo Pilot, for REAL. So he can process at-a-glance far more than this senile old man.
 

Sponsored

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
It's not impulse if you mulled it over for anything more than a couple of hours.

I assure you that this dashboard is just a tiny fraction of what is available with OBDLink.
@turbopilot has one quite a bit more advanced than this. But then he's a Turbo Pilot, for REAL. So he can process at-a-glance far more than this senile old man.
Even better when some values aren't half of what they should be :ROFLMAO:
 
OP
OP
turbopilot

turbopilot

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,224
Location
Prescott, AZ
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I assure you that this dashboard is just a tiny fraction of what is available with OBDLink.
@turbopilot has one quite a bit more advanced than this. But then he's a Turbo Pilot, for REAL. So he can process at-a-glance far more than this senile old man.
They teach you in pilot school to stay heads up, so I use my OBD link display to scan trends. If something interesting is going on then I just say "Hey Siri screen shot". She takes a shot that I can study later with the lat/lon showing you can georeference where and when whatever happened, happened.

I put the air conditioner PID's in the latest version. That pump really gets a workout when it is hot. I have seen up to 280 v / 12 amps peaking at 7,000 RPM on the pump compressor when the hybrid battery gets above 125F.


Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights v1.5
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Digging your tenacious development. Especially the ELECTRIFIED region of the real estate.
It's more and more logical, requiring less mental parsing at a glance.

I've procrastinated, waiting for you to hit a lull so I don't have to harvest (plagiarize) multiple times. ??
 
OP
OP
turbopilot

turbopilot

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,224
Location
Prescott, AZ
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Digging your tenacious development. Especially the ELECTRIFIED region of the real estate.
It's more and more logical, requiring less mental parsing at a glance.

I've procrastinated, waiting for you to hit a lull so I don't have to harvest (plagiarize) multiple times. ??
Plagiarize all you want. After all you started this. It is addicting, but I don't like the PID Easter egg hunts.
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
They teach you in pilot school to stay heads up, so I use my OBD link display to scan trends. If something interesting is going on then I just say "Hey Siri screen shot". She takes a shot that I can study later with the lat/lon showing you can georeference where and when whatever happened, happened.

I put the air conditioner PID's in the latest version. That pump really gets a workout when it is hot. I have seen up to 280 v / 12 amps peaking at 7,000 RPM on the pump compressor when the hybrid battery gets above 125F.


v1.5.webp
No ADI to go with your heading and altitude?

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights 1694661091994
 

Sponsored


DRP84

Member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Sep 9, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
14
Reaction score
18
Location
Canton, NY
Vehicles
2023 F 150 Powerboost XLT SPORT
Occupation
Retired
@turbopilot, the two dots at bottom center of your screenshot suggest there is a second page…
What’s on the second page?
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@turbopilot, the two dots at bottom center of your screenshot suggest there is a second page…
What’s on the second page?
?

Yea, turbopilot. What's over there?

Just messing with ya.
I have page 2 and page 3
Those are research pids. :)
There's something like 1500 PIDs in the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury library and so you gotta create a space for probing them to see if you can find meaning or value.

I loaded a full page of the VDM PID's while I was sorting out my CCD settings. But they aren't gauges that I would care to monitor.
 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Got the adapter today and imported @turbopilot's dashboard. Now I need to find a way to get out of my upcoming meeting so I can go for a drive.. :)
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You were warned about the addiction. :)

My older brother (68) has witnessed me get in the truck and just sit in it a couple of minutes before the truck finally moves. He gives me grief, in jest, by telling everyone that it looks like I'm going through some preflight-checklist before taxi-ing down the driveway.

Then last week he was in a jamb and needed to borrow a vehicle. I told him to take the truck and enjoy the 150 mile jaunt.

He has never even been in it short of a brief passenger seat glimpse. When he returned he had plenty to say about how overwhelming "all the buttons" were.
He drives a 2007 Chevy. A lot has happened since. Lol
 
 







Top