Sponsored

PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights

OP
OP
turbopilot

turbopilot

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,224
Location
Prescott, AZ
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
As @Snakebitten said that is the PID Easter Egg playground. Keep surfacing PID's until you fine one that is useful then move it to the front page dashboard.
I am still working on v1.5.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights v1.5


Version 1.4 below is still current. As always suggestions are welcome.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights v1.4
 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Ugh. I cannot get away from meetings today..

But I have been playing with the app during them.. :D I removed Lat/Long, Bearing and Altitude, as I generally know where I am, and Florida is pretty flat anyway.

I did add OAR though, as that seems like it might be handy at times.
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
But I have been playing with the app during them.. :D I removed Lat/Long, Bearing and Altitude, as I generally know where I am, and Florida is pretty flat anyway.
I find altitude pretty funny. The only point of it that truly matters is the distance from the road to the tires and if that value is anything other than 0, ain't no gauge going to save ya and you're in big trouble.
 
OP
OP
turbopilot

turbopilot

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,224
Location
Prescott, AZ
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I find altitude pretty funny. The only point of it that truly matters is the distance from the road to the tires and if that value is anything other than 0, ain't no gauge going to save ya and you're in big trouble.
The reason the geo-location data is there is to correlate time and place to a screen capture shot of an unusual presentation.

As to altitude as a "funny" variable, I invite you out to my playground in the West ranging from -120 MSL up to 13,500 MSL. You will see a PowerBoost with many different presentations depending on density altitude and temperature. For instance, pulling a heavy trailer with density altitudes well over 14,000' with unusual heat, places stresses on the systems you will never see in Florida.
 

Sponsored

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
The reason the geo-location data is there is to correlate time and place to a screen capture shot of an unusual presentation.

As to altitude as a "funny" variable, I invite you out to my playground in the West ranging from -120 MSL up to 13,500 MSL. You will see a PowerBoost with many different presentations depending on density altitude and temperature. For instance, pulling a heavy trailer with density altitudes well over 14,000' with unusual heat, places stresses on the systems you will never see in Florida.
Fair points. ?
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The man was born with altitude, longitude, and latitude coded in his DNA.

Destiny, in fact.
 
OP
OP
turbopilot

turbopilot

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,224
Location
Prescott, AZ
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Fair points. ?
Screen shot right now. Car is sitting in Thermal, CA at -103 MSL. The altitude is accurate and it definitely impacts the performance of not only the ICE but all the cooling systems on board. The ICE and some of the thermodynamics of these cooling systems is much more sensitive to temperature adjusted altitude of your current location, that is called density altitude. As a matter of fact we really should have a calculated PID for density altitude rather than actual altitude in the OBDLink dashboard. @Snakebitten do you know how to do this?

Here is a density altitude calculator.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights IMG_8207
 
Last edited:

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Screen shot right now. Car is sitting in Thermal, CA at -103 MSL. The altitude is accurate and it definitely impacts the performance of not only the ICE but all the cooling systems on board. The ICE and some of the thermodynamics of these cooling systems is much more sensitive to temperature adjusted altitude of your current location, that is called density altitude. As a matter of fact we really should have a calculated PID for density altitude rather than actual altitude in the OBDLink dashboard. @Snakebitten do you know how to do this?

Here is a density altitude calculator.
Yeah, gale banks is always ranting about getting rid of boost gauges for air density. Variables on heat dissipation go out the window at altitude. Crazy just how much rad performance is lost up there.
 

Sponsored


Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I finally broke away and went for a quick drive. Pretty neat! Lowest HV SOC I saw was 40%, highest was around 65 I think.

I'm still not sure how Livernois is tweaking out more electric time, but I guess as I get to know what I'm actually looking at, maybe I'll find something. heh

I also set up logging, though I need to figure out which PIDs matter there. The turbos seem to build boost pretty quickly and if the AFR reading is actually accurate, there looks to be a bit more power on the table as well.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 3.07.20 PM
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Outside of an E-Hold button, by capturing enough data the throttle could be re-mapped to keep it inside of the threshold while the ICE is off. It's like expo rates in RC. I wish I could pause daily business workflow and go into hermit Ai playing mode. With the current models you can feed it loads of data and get it to interpret whatever you want and even go on its own analyzation tangents providing answers to questions you didn't know to ask. Ford is sitting on huge amount of data that from all outward appearances, they're doing fuggall with.
 

Atlee

Well-known member
First Name
Erroll
Joined
Sep 14, 2021
Threads
27
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
1,314
Location
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
It's not impulse if you mulled it over for anything more than a couple of hours.

A couple of days would just be called splurging. ?

I think if you spend enough time getting intimate with the PIDs I used on my dashboard, and thus knew what the normal values are for factory calibration, you'd be able to spot any changes easy enough.

The top half are ICE related Pids, although the instrument cluster provides the ECT, Transmission Fluid Temperature, and whether the 10r80 is skipping gears or not.

The bottom half are the electricity related Pids, with LV being red and HV being Orange.

You could add a few 10r80 pids that might reveal changes regarding pressures related to shifting and/or torque converter lockup?

Screenshot_20230912_105725.jpg


I assure you that this dashboard is just a tiny fraction of what is available with OBDLink.
@turbopilot has one quite a bit more advanced than this. But then he's a Turbo Pilot, for REAL. So he can process at-a-glance far more than this senile old man.
What size is the screen that has all these PIDs on it? A regular smart phone or a tablet?
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just a cheap Samsung A13 smartphone.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 1.5 - We Need More Than Idiot Lights 20230513_085922
 

Atlee

Well-known member
First Name
Erroll
Joined
Sep 14, 2021
Threads
27
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
1,314
Location
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Just a cheap Samsung A13 smartphone.

20230513_085922.jpg
Thanks. Seems like a lot of info for a small screen. For me of course, since I tow a lot, the 2 most important gauges are the temperature of the engine and transmission. I'm sure there are others that would be beneficial.
Sponsored

 
 







Top