Sponsored

Ongoing PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard generator fault

Meterman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
219
Reaction score
87
Location
Medina OH
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 7.2Kw
I think very tough to get watertight without an adhesive.. also concern of trapping water in those connections. My observation is when warm and dries quick resets quick . Even concentrated the dryer at car wash at rear may have helped . Also last week while tripped i wrapped tight saran wrap then aluminum foil crimped to shield it before a dry trip for 340 miles .. never reset . Unwrapped , dried out (i presume) reset within hour or so then tripped when it rained a day later . 73, 000 truck and im a lab tech now ?
Once it tripped I removed the wrap. I’m just glad the dealer switched the outlet panel and it fixed it. We’ve got hit with 5” of snow on Sunday and still it’s hasn’t tripped again. Expediting more snow in the am but I feel pretty good that the issue is resolved.
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The fact that it appears the issue for your truck was in the distribution panel itself, it means it very well might not be the connectors on some of these trucks.

I'd methodically look at each connector, of course, but that panel would definitely be suspect if I couldn't find anything obvious in the harness.

By any chance does your paperwork have the panels part # listed?
 
OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Threads
13
Messages
260
Reaction score
87
Location
Schenectady,NY
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Steve, would it make sense to get a set of rear wheel-well liners from Husky?

I've been fixing electrical things for the past 50+ years. Intermittents are always a bitch. The fact that your works better in "warm" than "cold" is a big hint. Things swell in the heat. You might have one connection on the neutral return that has corrosion or is *barely* connected, and any change in the environment or temperature will affect the resistance of that connection and throw the system into fault.
Craig ,

my truck has factory wheel well liners . Maybe you mean splash guards . I might try but I don’t like the look of splash guards plus I think some water gets splashed up from below no matter what and have seen some creating plastic shields for these connectors . Early on I this forum someone implicated an under hood connector but dealer did confirm that was ok . As the dealer doesn’t pay the mechanics to go on an investigative path they only wish to do what Ford says can be paid .


your analysis is great. I have thought that same scenario . I have been reluctant to disconnect things because I sense the dealer is critical of this when I tell them this . They even documented this in a way that I thought was critical when the truck was a month or so old . As I said in prior post when weather warmed in spring 2022 groundfaults were rare and short lived but this December things got worse again . I still work 90 plus hours a week so not much time or energy to be lab tech for the machine under warranty and need it every day for work so leaving it at dealer for days not I the cards right now especially after 3 visits in fall of 21 when they said software..wait for update and they would not disconnect or replace anything unless Ford told them to do so and they gave me Ford bulletin saying wait for software in April 22’ which came and installed and did not resolve this . At this point I will be happy if Ford reimburses me for the cost of the 7.2 generator option whatever that was as I think 2.4 was standard and I loaded this thing with just about everything. To be fair the truck is great on everything else but I unfortunately saw the hybrid with generator announced years ago and said that’s all me and the generator on board was the main reason I pursued it .
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
I even did the dielectric grease and wrapped the crap out of it with bubble wrap shipping bag and it still tripped.
FWIW, these are the high voltage wires of the inverter.... (red / black L1/L2, white neutral, green ground)
Ford F-150 Ongoing PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard generator fault 1675067825837
 

Sponsored

Meterman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
219
Reaction score
87
Location
Medina OH
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 7.2Kw
FWIW, these are the high voltage wires of the inverter.... (red / black L1/L2, white neutral, green ground)
1675067825837.png
I was aware of that but when I disconnected them the generator still worked. The generator stopped working when I disconnected the one I wrapped in plastic.
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The one wrapped I believe is the control/low voltage harness to the panel. So it would stop the panel, and I guess the inverter-generator electronically speaking.

It's probably a good idea to wrap them too!
 

Meterman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
219
Reaction score
87
Location
Medina OH
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 7.2Kw
The one wrapped I believe is the control/low voltage harness to the panel. So it would stop the panel, and I guess the inverter-generator electronically speaking.

It's probably a good idea to wrap them too!
I only wrapped it to test if the gererator tripped, which it did, so I removed it.
 
OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Threads
13
Messages
260
Reaction score
87
Location
Schenectady,NY
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL

Sponsored


Meterman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
219
Reaction score
87
Location
Medina OH
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 7.2Kw
Really appreciate your insight . Took notes to my dealer and they are waiting for parts to replace bed panel and connections below in which they found water (no surprise) .unfortunately parts in short supply but have a clean 23 lariat loaner . ? it works
Glad to help, not glad to be the Guinea pig LOL, but it has worked perfectly ever since the replacement and I've been in many snow storms that certainly would have tripped it.
 
OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Threads
13
Messages
260
Reaction score
87
Location
Schenectady,NY
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Glad to help, not glad to be the Guinea pig LOL, but it has worked perfectly ever since the replacement and I've been in many snow storms that certainly would have tripped it.
Got my PB back . New bed panel and new connector lines just below panel. Right to carwash that always tripped it for last 15 mos . No fault ?. Was above 40 degrees though . We shall see . I will be cautiously optimistic. My dealership took ny research and suggestions seriously which is much appreciated. They seem to think the new connectors have a different? Improved water barrier.
Ford F-150 Ongoing PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard generator fault 20230214_183204
Ford F-150 Ongoing PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard generator fault 20230214_182902


Ford F-150 Ongoing PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard generator fault 20230214_182902
 
OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Threads
13
Messages
260
Reaction score
87
Location
Schenectady,NY
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I think very tough to get watertight without an adhesive.. also concern of trapping water in those connections. My observation is when warm and dries quick resets quick . Even concentrated the dryer at car wash at rear may have helped . Also last week while tripped i wrapped tight saran wrap then aluminum foil crimped to shield it before a dry trip for 340 miles .. never reset . Unwrapped , dried out (i presume) reset within hour or so then tripped when it rained a day later . 73, 000 truck and im a lab tech now ?
Well, new panel in bed and new connectors beneath panel and first trip to car wash at 40 degrees . No trip of generator. Cautiously optimistic...
Ford F-150 Ongoing PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard generator fault 20230214_183204
 

Meterman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
219
Reaction score
87
Location
Medina OH
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost 7.2Kw
Got my PB back . New bed panel and new connector lines just below panel. Right to carwash that always tripped it for last 15 mos . No fault ?. Was above 40 degrees though . We shall see . I will be cautiously optimistic. My dealership took ny research and suggestions seriously which is much appreciated. They seem to think the new connectors have a different? Improved water barrier.
20230214_183204.jpg
20230214_182902.jpg


20230214_182902.jpg
Interesting, they only replaced my panel but as long as it does not trip I don’t care.
 
OP
OP
snyce1

snyce1

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Threads
13
Messages
260
Reaction score
87
Location
Schenectady,NY
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Interesting, they only replaced my panel but as long as it does not trip I don’t care.
I think they decided to replace the lines below because i had shown that the reset could be prevented by my wrapping those connections in saran wrap and aluminum foil to trap moisture while it was in fault . It prevented reset for 4 days and reset on day 5 with unwrapped when dry day and on highway with airflow .
Sponsored

 
 







Top