Sponsored

F150 Hybrid Towing Range?

Mosey

Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 26, 2022
Threads
106
Messages
855
Reaction score
725
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
My ‘21 PB towing a tall 14 ft v-nose cargo trailer gets around 12 mpg empty and between 9 and 10 when loaded. I would not count on any real assistance from the electric motor. In fact regenerative braking is reduced when in tow-haul mode based on the eco-coach readings.
Sponsored

 

dochawk

Well-known member
First Name
doc
Joined
Jul 20, 2024
Threads
26
Messages
711
Reaction score
517
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Vehicles
f150 soon? 3 classic Cadillacs, Miata, mustang civ
Occupation
retired!
In fact regenerative braking is reduced when in tow-haul mode based on the eco-coach readings.
the application of the trailer brakes, which don't regenerate?
 

Mosey

Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 26, 2022
Threads
106
Messages
855
Reaction score
725
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
the application of the trailer brakes, which don't regenerate?
Not sure what you mean. The trailer brakes have nothing to do with the PB regen braking.
 

jcaspar

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
481
Reaction score
437
Location
Sacramento CA
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I did my first RV trip in January towing a 32' trailer. Got about 9 mpg average. Much worse with Tow mode (8 ish) than with normal (about 10) as it blocked the hybrid mode. Worked well with Tow mode for hilly areas and normal of the flats.
 

dochawk

Well-known member
First Name
doc
Joined
Jul 20, 2024
Threads
26
Messages
711
Reaction score
517
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Vehicles
f150 soon? 3 classic Cadillacs, Miata, mustang civ
Occupation
retired!
Not sure what you mean. The trailer brakes have nothing to do with the PB regen braking.
Oh, but they do: every erg they dissipate doesn't go into regen!

I'm assuming that if you apply the brakes with battery less than full, that the trailer brakes get engaged even though the truck uses region.

Then again, maybe they anticipated this, and don't use trailer brakes until the truck uses actual brakes rather than region. Others will know better than I.
 

Sponsored

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't know if I would consider a Powerboost as being much different than just a 3.5 Ecoboost, when towing anything significant.
At least not enough difference to justify the "Hybrid" title.
 

dafish

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
354
Reaction score
219
Location
Midwest US
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
I'm looking at replacing my 2018 limited with a 2021 Hybrid Limited and am wondering if anyone has any input/knowledge on what to expect for range when towing? I
Having owned nearly identical trucks, an '18 ecoboost and a '22 Powerboost, I can say this about towing: This is no improvement at all while towing. In fact, there are times I think the '18 does a bit better. But then the '18 has IWE's and Ford removed them in '22 Powerboosts for at least the King Ranch and the Platinum, so there went some mpg... Thanks Ford!

BTW, I've never seen the hybrid do anything, contribute anything, over 40mph as regards passing, pulling a hill, or etc. It's certainly of no value towing. Heck, it's just more weight to drag around. PB is of value around town at low speed. Well, any below 40-43 mph condition I suppose, although it's much more usefull around 35mph. And again, of no use when towing.
 

SonarChief

Well-known member
First Name
Stephen
Joined
Mar 6, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
226
Reaction score
305
Location
Connecticut
Vehicles
2024 F150 King Ranch, 153” WB, Anti-Matter Blue PB
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Having owned nearly identical trucks, an '18 ecoboost and a '22 Powerboost, I can say this about towing: This is no improvement at all while towing. In fact, there are times I think the '18 does a bit better. But then the '18 has IWE's and Ford removed them in '22 Powerboosts for at least the King Ranch and the Platinum, so there went some mpg... Thanks Ford!

BTW, I've never seen the hybrid do anything, contribute anything, over 40mph as regards passing, pulling a hill, or etc. It's certainly of no value towing. Heck, it's just more weight to drag around. PB is of value around town at low speed. Well, any below 40-43 mph condition I suppose, although it's much more usefull around 35mph. And again, of no use when towing.
Yes to the fact that you will almost never see “electric” mode while towing. Yes to the fact that the hybrid does add about 300 lbs of weight (around 2 young teenagers), which means if your ONLY metric is mpg, then you will see a slight LOSS vs the non hybrid when towing. And as far as engine braking, the 3.5 (like any small turbo) does less then a 5.0 or larger. And yes to those that if you are a dedicated heavy tower, you should be in a 250 plus anyway! All that being said, there are numerous videos (JB Reviews and Truck King come to mind) and showing how that extra 30 HP and 70 lb ft of torque makes for a much better towing experience up any grade. And let’s now forget how the pro power onboard adds to the utility when you reach the remote campsite! I took a screenshot from Truck King showing a merging traffic 0-60 time while towing a 7k trailer, the PB was only topped by the Ram TRX( the other trucks weren’t even close!)

Ford F-150 F150 Hybrid Towing Range? IMG_4941
 

dafish

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
354
Reaction score
219
Location
Midwest US
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
OK, I"ll bite, and perhaps learn something:

Are you trying to tell us they hybrid batt is called/used pulling hills? That alone I'd not beleived. When you reference the extra 30hp while towing I'm assuming you're telling is it harness the drive motor while towing. I'm pretty certain it does not do that.

Still, I'm prepared to learn I'm wrong. can you elaborate?
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
OK, I"ll bite, and perhaps learn something:

Are you trying to tell us they hybrid batt is called/used pulling hills? That alone I'd not beleived. When you reference the extra 30hp while towing I'm assuming you're telling is it harness the drive motor while towing. I'm pretty certain it does not do that.

Still, I'm prepared to learn I'm wrong. can you elaborate?
It absolutely does use the electric motor even while ICE is running.
If you monitor the amps being consumed from the ~300V battery during certain torque requests, you clearly witness the electric torque being blended with the Ecoboost torque.

It's not just when towing or climbing a grade. It's anytime that the engine management logic finds electric torque available for blending.

By the way, in Tow/Haul, the HVB SOC management is a very different than Normal mode. At steady state high speed cruise, instead of keeping the SOC down near the bottom of the usable range (~42%), the SOC is kept at the top. Often even higher than the normal ceiling of 63%. It'll hover up in the 67-68% area. So it's "primed" for being called on with an increased torque request.
 
Last edited:

Sponsored


dafish

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
354
Reaction score
219
Location
Midwest US
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
Well I'll be darned. Seemed like I got the "it's not used for towing" from this forum. Meh. Glad to know more! Thanks! Is there any convenient way to tell when it's adding electric torque?

Tia,

-d
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just monitor the PID called

Ford F-150 F150 Hybrid Towing Range? Screenshot_20250314_234250
 

Davexxxx

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2023
Threads
82
Messages
1,822
Reaction score
1,912
Location
MO
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Well I'll be darned. Seemed like I got the "it's not used for towing" from this forum. Meh. Glad to know more! Thanks! Is there any convenient way to tell when it's adding electric torque?

Tia,

-d
The powerflow display in the center screen.
 

SonarChief

Well-known member
First Name
Stephen
Joined
Mar 6, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
226
Reaction score
305
Location
Connecticut
Vehicles
2024 F150 King Ranch, 153” WB, Anti-Matter Blue PB
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The powerflow display in the center screen.
Exactly, if it says “hybrid “ or “electric “ then the electric motor is being used…and by the way, it will ALWAYS say one or the other unless there is a significant problem with your hybrid system.
 

Samson16

Well-known member
First Name
Kyle
Joined
Mar 24, 2023
Threads
18
Messages
3,622
Reaction score
3,587
Location
Orlando, FL.
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I'm looking at replacing my 2018 limited with a 2021 Hybrid Limited and am wondering if anyone has any input/knowledge on what to expect for range when towing? I understand Ford is marketing a range of "at least 700 miles" for the Hybrid, which is greater than the advertised range for my 2018 but I wonder if that increased range will be similar when towing as I would suspect the Hybrid's impact is less noticeable with a 6500lb trailer behind it. With the fuel tank on the hybrid being 15% smaller than on the current limited (30.6 vs 36 gallons) , my concern would be that the range I'll get towing my travel trailer may be less than I'm getting now or do you think the Hybrid will still aid in range even under heavy load?


Some math:

The current non hybrid F150 limited is EPA rated at 19mpg combined, with my travel trailer I get about 9.8mpg average, so out of a 36 gallon tank I can theoretically get 352.8 miles of range. If the new Hybrid limited gets 700 miles on it’s 30.6 gallon tank, that would be a rating of 22.9mpg. To get the same 352.8 miles of range with the Hybrid’s smaller tank, I would need to get 11.5mpg when towing.
What are you planning to tow with a Limited PB? The payload sticker is so gimped a pair of Jetskis will put you at the limit. I think when towing the mpg will be very similar to what you get now you’ll just have more power. Don’t purchase it for better towing fuel economy.
Sponsored

 
 







Top