Sponsored

Can anyone get 20+mpg [updated on 23 Oct]

Jmitchelltfo

Well-known member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Aug 12, 2024
Threads
23
Messages
580
Reaction score
666
Location
Ozarks
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch PB
Occupation
Range Ops
This is crazy, I drove an empty car yet 18mpg. How soon will your engine step in when it takes off? My engine starts when EV mode gets to 10 miles/hr.
The electric motor will run intermittently all the way up to 55mph for me.

My normal commute is 45 mph with very little stop and go. I think that’s why I can get such solid numbers going back and forth to work.

Out on the interstate is where the tires make my fuel mileage suffer a bit. I usually only get 18 or so if I’m running 75+.
Sponsored

 

MonkeySpank

Well-known member
First Name
Rich
Joined
Sep 25, 2023
Threads
11
Messages
62
Reaction score
34
Location
Hawaii
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
Guess I should be happy getting 21mpg on a 6inch lifted 5.0 crewcab with 35inch tires.
 

rtf150

Well-known member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Oct 16, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
252
Reaction score
465
Location
Southeast
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
Ford F-150 Can anyone get 20+mpg [updated on 23 Oct] IMG_1343
This was my ride today. Mix of 2 lane, interstate, residential with about 6 idles while out of the truck. I just leave it running. Left it running to fill up just for the pic for this thread. Enjoy your truck!
 
OP
OP
assa8945

assa8945

Member
First Name
XR
Joined
Oct 10, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Location
AZ
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
IMG_1343.jpeg
This was my ride today. Mix of 2 lane, interstate, residential with about 6 idles while out of the truck. I just leave it running. Left it running to fill up just for the pic for this thread. Enjoy your truck!
Did you customize your dashboard? Mine does not show the turbo pressure.
It is awesome that your Electric motor can cover 1/5 of the trip. Mine can only cover 1/8.
 

Pelican

Well-known member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Feb 18, 2022
Threads
4
Messages
416
Reaction score
374
Location
Ohio
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew POWERBOOST
Occupation
Financial Management
Come on, this is merica and we want instant gratification, to get 30mph/gal on every vehicle sold here, a job (not a career) working 100% remotely paying $500k + salary/year with no responsibility or accountability.
 

Sponsored

Addabob64

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2021
Threads
3
Messages
125
Reaction score
130
Location
NTX - NNE of Dallas Area
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB 900A
Did you customize your dashboard? Mine does not show the turbo pressure.
It is awesome that your Electric motor can cover 1/5 of the trip. Mine can only cover 1/8.
I have a '21 PB 4WD with 22" tires and the standard 3.73 rear diff, and many of the weight-adding options (massaging seats, sunroof, Retrax roll back cover, etc), with payload of 1,230 lbs.

I had the same experience you are having when I first got it. I was getting 17-19mpg. I would hear many on here talking about the adjustments they made to their driving patterns to get the most from the hybrid drive. I have been trying to apply those practices, and now I get 21-24 regularly, with all electric miles of about 15-20% of the total miles. I have about 27K miles on my stock truck. No lift/level.

Here are the things I have found that has impacted my mileage the most, many thanks go out to the others here who have helped me understand how to get the most out of this new drivetrain:
  • I drive mostly highway/interstate roads with a speed limit of 60-75mph. This is where the hybrid is least beneficial, with fuel mileage looking more like a standard ICE 3.5EB. I read threads on here that say they can run 75-80mph and still get 24-27, but I have not been able to achieve that. Running at 70, I can generally keep it at 21-22 at best. Below 60 I can get the higher mileage (I have achieved 26-27 in 50-60mph trips with few needs to stop), but it falls off above there. My average mileage with mixed driving on most every tank is 21.5-22.5.
  • When I drive in city traffic, I can see my mileage go up due to the hybrid drive being able to kick in more often. On some of these trips, I might get 24-26mpg. Even with the hybrid drive, stop and go still impacts me a lot. 50-60mph constant speed is my truck's sweet spot for mileage.
  • As many others have said, try using the EV Coach. I have found it hard to use, so I typically use the little instant fuel mileage bar in the lower middle of the cluster. It doesn't provide the same detailed info on the EV usage, but it helps me to be more aware of the effect of my foot on the pedal.
  • As others have stated, keep the engine out of boost. I know when I have to accelerate hard to merge onto the highway, I can see my current average mileage drop by 0.1-0.2mpg for a single acceleration. I am sure it is due to the boost demand, but I do not even display the boost gauge since I am a pretty calm driver but for merging needs.
  • Sport mode is great for GPG (grins per gallon), but it killed my MPG the few times I engaged it. I kind of understand what Eco mode does, but I have never seen any improvements when I have tried it, and I have found it to be so laggy that it can put you in a bad spot when you do need to accelerate hard. I stay in Normal mode 98% of the time.
  • When I accelerate away from a stop, my truck is very sensitive to the throttle input. Mine also turns the ICE on at 10-12mph. I can get it to stay electric for a long ways, but to do so I have to creep away from the light for a long time, and it would rightfully piss off every other driver behind me if I did so in traffic. I am not that worried about my mileage to cause that kind of irritation to others when they are already dealing with long lines of traffic. I read somewhere an acceleration rate that the PB is designed around that I believe was something like 1-2mph/sec acceleration rate to stay in all electric, so it is a woefully slow acceleration rate. It is also important to know that even when the ICE kicks on, the hybrid drive is still assisting. I try to accelerate up to the speed limit at a reasonable rate and then back off to settle into where the electric mode will kick back in, and really try to be aware of my pedal input.
  • For me, using the cruise control makes my mileage go down. The computer is much more aggressive in keeping the truck at the set speed or the read speed limit signs. Also, when I am going downhill, it will apply the brakes if I start to speed up just a bit rather than letting it coast down the hill where my all electric mode would kick in and yet still keep that momentum rather than braking. I know the braking might help the regen, but I have had decent luck using this coasting method.
  • When you are going less than 40-ish and not accelerating, tap the brake to get the truck to go into all electric mode. With careful attention to the pedal input, I can get long stretches of all electric driving (maybe up to a mile has been my best due to the roads I am on).
  • For my truck, fuel makes a big difference. I have one station I now always use as I will get 1-2mpg better mileage (I have always run premium 93 octane that is up to 10% ethanol). Not sure who their fuel vendor is, but it makes a difference on all of our vehicles. This is after using many different top-tier stations like Exxon, Shell, Mobil, etc., (most are 91 octane) and I consistently get 1-7MPG better mileage on all 3 vehicles (PB 1-2, Subaru 2-4 and Honda 5-7) vehicles. It is a VP Racing Fuels station.
  • Tires can make a big difference based on what others have stated here. I guess the larger AT tires are a lot heavier than my stock road tires. I am running stock 22" tires, with the original Grabbers and now Michelins. The weight of the new tires are the same, and I still get the same mileage. When I was shopping tires, some were 10-20 lbs heavier, so adding a lot to the weight that is being moved around. I run my tires a few psi over the recommended pressures (38 vs 35) which netted me maybe 0.5-1mpg improvement when I made the change.

Now for the unintended pun.... Your mileage may vary... ;-)

Good luck!
 

SilverSpur

Well-known member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Jul 25, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
126
Reaction score
41
Location
Joplin Mo
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 08 Charger RT, 24 Santa Fe Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
A dirty air filter will cause low performance and poor mpg.
 

pricetyler

Member
First Name
Sterling
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
6
Location
Shawnee, KS
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Constrution Executive
I consistently get 21-23 mpg on the highway with my 2021 Powerboost. It does drop off a bit though if you start running more than 70 mph.
 

Scoobtay

Well-known member
First Name
Taylor
Joined
Mar 23, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
93
Reaction score
84
Location
Oregon
Vehicles
2023 PB XLT
Ford F-150 Can anyone get 20+mpg [updated on 23 Oct] IMG_1173

sitting in traffic is where these really shine.
 

rtf150

Well-known member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Oct 16, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
252
Reaction score
465
Location
Southeast
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
Did you customize your dashboard? Mine does not show the turbo pressure.
It is awesome that your Electric motor can cover 1/5 of the trip. Mine can only cover 1/8.
Did you customize your dashboard? Mine does not show the turbo pressure.
It is awesome that your Electric motor can cover 1/5 of the trip. Mine can only cover 1/8.
Use the menu bottom on your steering wheel to toggle thru options. You’ll find the gauges you want…or the icon that represents a gauge at least. I hope you keep driving and you’ll figure out how to boost that mpg with every drive.
 

Sponsored


dadrew

Well-known member
First Name
Andrew
Joined
Jan 30, 2024
Threads
27
Messages
191
Reaction score
157
Location
Indiana
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB (Sold) 2025 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
Internet Janitor
I’m at 22.3 mpg over the last 700 miles. Takes time getting used to the electric mode

I also use the shit out of adaptive cruise control in the city and that seems to help a ton with mpg

swapping to a Green Air Filter also gave me a boost just an fyi
 

Babbage

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2022
Threads
9
Messages
280
Reaction score
246
Location
Upstate, NY
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider

rjinaz

Well-known member
First Name
Rick
Joined
Mar 20, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
146
Reaction score
114
Location
AZ
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost 701A
My range after my last fill up.
783 ÷ 30 gallon tank = 26.1 MPG
As you can see from the pic, not entirely full. I drove about 40 miles before I snapped the pic.
I forgot to take a pick of Trip meter.

Ford F-150 Can anyone get 20+mpg [updated on 23 Oct] Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 5.43.00 AM
 

Tough 1

New member
Joined
Feb 19, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
Delaware
Vehicles
F150 2021 XLT PB BD 6.5 FX4
I have a 2021 F150 PB and just got the best. Usually I average 725 - 750 during fill-up. This last time I got 794 till empty which equates to 30 mpg.

Ford F-150 Can anyone get 20+mpg [updated on 23 Oct] 20241107_042447
 

Mash150

Well-known member
First Name
Dale
Joined
Jan 26, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
529
Reaction score
377
Location
North of the 49th
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Retired
718 miles to empty and 25 mpg . Short trip though . Even at 74 mph ,without a headwind the truck gets 23 mpg

Ford F-150 Can anyone get 20+mpg [updated on 23 Oct] IMG_8802
Sponsored

 
 







Top