Sponsored

Washing/Detailing: DIY or Pros?

Ewheels

Active member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
38
Reaction score
105
Location
Southern CA
Vehicles
23 Lariat PB 4x4, 24 4Runner Pro, 18 Mustang GT
Back when I was a single man, I loved washing and detailing my own vehicles. I also always had smaller sports cars or motorcycles so there wasn't a ton of surface area to clean. Now that I have a family, I don't have the same time to spend detailing and this F150 is freaking massive in comparison to my Mustang.

Do you folks wash/detail your F150's yourselves or do you take them to a place or have a mobile detailer come by? Mine is parked outside and it's a truck so I'm not expecting perfect car-show quality paint but it does need more TLC than it's currently getting. I generally don't trust other people to take as much care as I would but the thought of ceramic coating my truck myself turns me lazy really quick. My wife's explorer took over 8 hours; I'm sure the truck will be several hours longer.
Sponsored

 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I do a combination of both - I have a mobile detailer come when I'm lazy and/or if it's too hot for my fragile body.

I have a pressure washer, foam cannon, and all the goodies for when I do get off my ass though.
 

oncechance

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 13, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
640
Reaction score
846
Location
Indiana
Vehicles
2014 & 2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
It usually takes me a couple of hours to fully detail my truck. This is using Meguiar's waterless wash/wax and quick sweep and detail of interior.
 

SeanV313

Well-known member
First Name
Sean
Joined
Mar 26, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
303
Reaction score
258
Location
Michigan
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2024 F150 502A w/ PB, BAP, BUP, FX4
Occupation
Fleet Vehicle Program Manager
I have a local shop that I use for the Fleet vehicles I manage. I am going to have them do a paint correction and ceramic coating. I will then follow whatever they recommend. Since I am buying this vehicle from Granger Ford, I am going to be doing a long driver before it gets to the local shop.
 
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Active member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
38
Reaction score
105
Location
Southern CA
Vehicles
23 Lariat PB 4x4, 24 4Runner Pro, 18 Mustang GT
I suppose a quick wash at home doesn't take me that long (did one yesterday) but just thinking about polishing the whole truck and then ceramic coating the whole thing.....nope.
 

Sponsored

{tpc}

Well-known member
First Name
Anthony
Joined
Feb 12, 2022
Threads
29
Messages
674
Reaction score
329
Location
Berkley, MI
Vehicles
2024 F-150 SuperCrew 3.5 EB Avalanche BAP
I really need to have mine detailed. I guess i'm waiting to figure out if I am keeping this one or not. But the thing is, the "pros" at Jax have implemented a system where you you want the inside cleaned, you have to buy a monthly membership (thanks covid). I used to just wash myself and occasionally pay for an a la carte inside/out service. Now I have to pay for a month membership.

On the flip side, a month membership is damn near twice what you used to pay for the "works". But if you use it a couple times a month, I guess it pays for itself. I just hate the membership part.

I guess if I wanted to be that "guy" I could go there twice a day for a wash and interior cleaning per their rules (its unlimited). Somehow I don't think it would have the desired effect on them and get old fast.

The only other full service option does not have a close by location. :(
 

SpaceWhiteF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Threads
71
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
1,582
Location
Montgomery, Texas
Vehicles
2021 F150
I suppose a quick wash at home doesn't take me that long (did one yesterday) but just thinking about polishing the whole truck and then ceramic coating the whole thing.....nope.
Just do it!! It will be worth it for the ease of washes to come! After I finish my paint work, I’m doing the Adam’s graphene coating!
 

22stx

Well-known member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Jan 21, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
110
Reaction score
111
Location
NC
Vehicles
22 F150 STX
Occupation
Truck driver
I would rather do mine myself than let someone else do it. I'm a little picky about what products I use on the outside and inside. Plus it's a lot cheaper. Once you get a good coating on it, it will last for a while.
 

Mr Salami

Member
First Name
Bobby
Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
16
Reaction score
9
Location
Tampa, FL
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
I might do the interior one day and the exterior the next. The rates these guys charge are ridiculous.
 

Sponsored


OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Active member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
38
Reaction score
105
Location
Southern CA
Vehicles
23 Lariat PB 4x4, 24 4Runner Pro, 18 Mustang GT
Just do it!! It will be worth it for the ease of washes to come! After I finish my paint work, I’m doing the Adam’s graphene coating!
That's the same product I use.
The Mustang was easy. The wife's Explorer was doable. I suppose I'll just need to block off a Saturday or Sunday and get it done.
 

Flash69

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2022
Threads
4
Messages
488
Reaction score
503
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
I wash and detail my truck myself. I don’t trust anyone to touch the paint nor do I use automatic car wash places.

Being honest, it takes me longer than it should at about 3 hours just to wash (not detail) the exterior. I’m OCD so I go over everything meticulously. I even have the full Obsessed Garage setup which saves time with setup/cleanup after washing.

I spent 2 days in the fall doing a complete detail by claying, polishing and coating with 2 coats of Pinnacle Souveran wax. 8 months later water still beads off the paint in the Texas heat.

I do it because I love having a perfectly clean vehicle and don’t trust anyone to do it without scratching the paint.


Ford F-150 Washing/Detailing: DIY or Pros? IMG_7626
 

UGADawg96

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2021
Threads
32
Messages
3,511
Reaction score
6,199
Location
JAX, FL
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB & '25 Explorer ST
The outside is always easy, it is the inside nooks and crannies with dust and crumbs and stuff that is impossible with a regular vacuum. I need to get my 30 month old 2021 some professional detailing lovin and know it's going to be ~$300.
 

Flash69

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2022
Threads
4
Messages
488
Reaction score
503
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
The outside is always easy, it is the inside nooks and crannies with dust and crumbs and stuff that is impossible with a regular vacuum. I need to get my 30 month old 2021 some professional detailing lovin and know it's going to be ~$300.
You can do a great interior cleaning by following these basic steps. You can always do more or less as desired.

Step 1: Use a brush to get dust, dirt and anything else out of the nooks, crannies, vents, dash, leather seats, etc.

I use this brush:
Detail Factory Ultra-Soft Detailing Brush Small, Comfortable Grip and Scratch-Free Cleaning for Exterior, Interior Panels, Emblems, Badges, Gauge Cluster, Infotainment Screen https://a.co/d/9QYMMMg

Step 2: Use a good interior cleaner and microfiber to wipe down everything from dash to leather seats.

I use these:
nextzett 92470515 Cockpit Premium Interior and Dashboard Cleaner, 16.9 fl oz, Black https://a.co/d/4rmNR75

The Rag Company - Edgeless 300 - Microfiber Detailing Towels, Perfect for Removing Polishes, Sealants, and Glaze; Great for Interior Cleaning and Dirty Jobs; 300GSM, 16in x 16in, Light Blue (10-Pack) https://a.co/d/8j5fQWU

Step 3: Use glass cleaner and a glass microfiber.

Invisible Glass 91164-2PK 19-Ounce Foam Cleaner for Auto and Home for a Streak-Free Shine, Deep Cleaning Foaming Action, Safe for Tinted and Non-Tinted Windows, Ammonia Free, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/hHUpcN6

The Rag Company - Dry Me A River - Professional Korean 70/30 Blend Microfiber Waffle-Weave Drying & Detailing Towels, Soft Suede Edges, 390gsm, 16in x 16in, Light Blue (5-Pack) https://a.co/d/3jsdGOb

Step 4: Vacuum carpet.

You can use any products you like, these are just the steps to clean most of the interiors.
Sponsored

 
 







Top