Sponsored

Air Filter Comparison

FirstFord

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
65
Messages
771
Reaction score
675
Location
South Central Missouri
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
At 25,000 miles, I randomly decided to check my air filter (among other tasks), and decided it needed to be changed. I seemed to recall that someone on this forum had noted that the Purolator One air filter was substantially thicker than the OEM Ford. This stuck in my mind, and I reasoned was beneficial. So, I began looking around the internet checking inventory of local retailers for a Purolator One. While rummaging around the internet I also ran into a number of "Best Air Filter" articles. I only looked at one or two of them because it has been my experience that these types of articles rarely agree - they frequently use different criteria yielding different results, and even when similar criteria are used it is not uncommon to see different results. Still, in reviewing these artilces as a whole, one will typically see the same brands - albeit maybe in different ranked order - in the top 3 or 4, so you get a sense of who the top players are.

Purolator One, was indeed in this grouping, as was Wix. The Purolator One was not available locally to me, but the Wix filter was, and that is what I purchased.

Differences I found:

The Wix filter is laying on top of the OEM Ford filter. The Wix is virtually twice as thick as the OEM Ford.
Ford F-150 Air Filter Comparison Twice as Thick


The Ford filter is rigid.
Ford F-150 Air Filter Comparison Ford Rigid


The Wix filter is not rigid.
Ford F-150 Air Filter Comparison Wix Flex


I have no idea of what significance - if any - what difference it makes as to if the filter is rigid or not.

FYI
Sponsored

 

AlexGates

Active member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Apr 29, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
25
Reaction score
18
Location
NW FL
Vehicles
2025 F150 Lariat 5.0
The only really valid test would be air flow and particulate.

Thicker doesn't always mean better, it may actually restrict air flow. fwiw: I used Wix and MC on my '19. HVAC people usually get on owners about using too thick of a filter, though I realize that an engine is much less forgiving of contaminates.
 
OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
65
Messages
771
Reaction score
675
Location
South Central Missouri
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
For the record, this was presented as a simple observation, not any kind of a "test" with results. It was an observation that I found interesting and passed along.

Yes, I've had household HVAC people tell me the same thing - that using too thick of a filter can be restrictive to a system. However, (at least at my house) the nature of the construction of my household HVAC filter is quite different than that of my truck's filter. I can see where thicker would be more restrictive if it were a single thick layer, or multiple layers of thinner material stacked on top of each other, but this air filter is pleated, so I don't see the restriction scenario - just more filtering material, therefore a benefit. Just my thought process....
 
Last edited:

JCsTruck

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 26, 2024
Threads
17
Messages
881
Reaction score
883
Location
Worcester MA
Vehicles
2025 Reg Cab 2WD Work Truck XL with 2.7 + 2024 Supercab XL 4x4 with 5.0 V8
Occupation
Project Manager, formerly Construction Superintendent, formerly ASE A1-A8 Tech.
Years ago back in I think 2002 or 2003 I did dyno runs with my 2001 V8 Tundra to compared different exhaust systems and air filters. I installed a K&N drop in air filter and my truck lost a little HP, I think it was about 4 HP so not a big difference. The K&N filter flowed more air per sq inch vs the stock filter but it also let more dirt through too. I then compared the K&N filter to my stock Toyota air filter by flattening out the pleats for each one and found that the stock Toyota air filter had twice the overall surface area compared to the K&N filter. So because the Toyota filter had more surface area, it ultimately flowed more air overall compared to the K&N filter.

Lessen learned was their marketing worked well fooling so many people but the reality was the manufacturer was cost cutting and saving money and giving you less material even though it did flow more air per square inch. Remember those displays in the auto parts stores with the little balls inside the plexiglass thing with a fan blowing air through their filter next to a stock paper filter. ?
 

JumboJVT

Well-known member
First Name
Kris
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
226
Reaction score
167
Location
Vermont
Vehicles
'25 F150 302A 157" 3.5EB
Occupation
Project Manager
Years ago back in I think 2002 or 2003 I did dyno runs with my 2001 V8 Tundra to compared different exhaust systems and air filters. I installed a K&N drop in air filter and my truck lost a little HP, I think it was about 4 HP so not a big difference. The K&N filter flowed more air per sq inch vs the stock filter but it also let more dirt through too. I then compared the K&N filter to my stock Toyota air filter by flattening out the pleats for each one and found that the stock Toyota air filter had twice the overall surface area compared to the K&N filter. So because the Toyota filter had more surface area, it ultimately flowed more air overall compared to the K&N filter.

Lessen learned was their marketing worked well fooling so many people but the reality was the manufacturer was cost cutting and saving money and giving you less material even though it did flow more air per square inch. Remember those displays in the auto parts stores with the little balls inside the plexiglass thing with a fan blowing air through their filter next to a stock paper filter. ?
I'm not following the math here. Do you mean the K&N filter material flowed more per square inch than the Toyota material? As opposed to the filter assembly flowing more through its footprint as installed in the housing? If the former, how did you determine that? K&N's claims? Surely the passing more dirt part wasn't part of K&N's claims. I can see the later being revealed by the dyno.
 

Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
65
Messages
771
Reaction score
675
Location
South Central Missouri
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
^^^ THAT may have very well been the thread that I read as mentioned in my OP....
 

BEW

Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
7
Location
NEW JERSEY
Vehicles
07 Mustang, 24 Bronco, 25 F150 Lariat BAP
Occupation
Retired Firefigter
I have read that the same company, Hummel-Mann, makes Motorcraft, Purolator and Wix.
 
OP
OP
FirstFord

FirstFord

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
65
Messages
771
Reaction score
675
Location
South Central Missouri
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
Here is a pretty cool video further breaking them down and pretty good testing
Yeah, that guy has quite a few YouTube videos out covering a number of products. They all strike me as being very straightforward, fair, engineering based analysis. I was pleased to see that the two brands that I wound up gravitating towards (Wix and Purolator One) wound up being his top picks.
 
Last edited:

Sponsored


Henfield

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
637
Reaction score
478
Location
Usa
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
I've adopted a 15k EAF and CAF change approach. At least for now. I may change to a fixed month of each year in which case mileage will change......
 

JCsTruck

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 26, 2024
Threads
17
Messages
881
Reaction score
883
Location
Worcester MA
Vehicles
2025 Reg Cab 2WD Work Truck XL with 2.7 + 2024 Supercab XL 4x4 with 5.0 V8
Occupation
Project Manager, formerly Construction Superintendent, formerly ASE A1-A8 Tech.
I'm not following the math here. Do you mean the K&N filter material flowed more per square inch than the Toyota material? As opposed to the filter assembly flowing more through its footprint as installed in the housing? If the former, how did you determine that? K&N's claims? Surely the passing more dirt part wasn't part of K&N's claims. I can see the later being revealed by the dyno.
You are correct my friend. K&N claimed their filter media flowed more air and that was evidenced by the display in the auto parts store with the little balls being blown up higher with the K&N filter media vs the stock paper filter media of the same size. On the dyno my truck made more power with the stock factory Toyota filter vs the drop in K&N filter. We wanted to know why so we unfolded the pleats of each filter and compared the total surface area of the two and discovered that the factory Toyota filter had twice the surface area compared to the K&N, so we concluded that the factory Toyota filter was overall less restrictive due to the greater amount of filter surface area. ? The K&N filter was the reusable type that you needed to clean and oil and that type allowed larger particles to pass through which was a known fact at the time.
 

AlexGates

Active member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Apr 29, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
25
Reaction score
18
Location
NW FL
Vehicles
2025 F150 Lariat 5.0
Yeah, that guy has quite a few YouTube videos out covering a number of products. They all strike me as being very straightforward, fair, engineering based analysis. I was pleased to see that the two brands that I wound up gravitating towards (Wix and Purolator One) wound up being his top picks.
I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything bad about a Wix product. Though I'm sure complaints exist.
 

JumboJVT

Well-known member
First Name
Kris
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
226
Reaction score
167
Location
Vermont
Vehicles
'25 F150 302A 157" 3.5EB
Occupation
Project Manager
You are correct my friend. K&N claimed their filter media flowed more air and that was evidenced by the display in the auto parts store with the little balls being blown up higher with the K&N filter media vs the stock paper filter media of the same size. On the dyno my truck made more power with the stock factory Toyota filter vs the drop in K&N filter. We wanted to know why so we unfolded the pleats of each filter and compared the total surface area of the two and discovered that the factory Toyota filter had twice the surface area compared to the K&N, so we concluded that the factory Toyota filter was overall less restrictive due to the greater amount of filter surface area. ? The K&N filter was the reusable type that you needed to clean and oil and that type allowed larger particles to pass through which was a known fact at the time.
Gotcha. Another meaningless marketing demonstration. The kind of thing that insults my intelligence enough that I'll not buy from that company if it can be avoided.
 

JohnMcClane

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
Feb 11, 2021
Threads
17
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
1,901
Location
Lower 48
Vehicles
15 150
Interesting, the Wix I put in seemed to be similar thickness to what you’re seeing, but the framing was a much sturdier black plastic, must have changed the design recently.
Sponsored

 
 







Top