Sponsored

Chimes coming through the IPC after Kicker upgrade

EcoBeastCA

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 8, 2023
Threads
21
Messages
135
Reaction score
136
Location
Canada
Vehicles
2023 402A
I have to call out the guys over at @SoundsGoodStereo first. I'm beginning to hate these guys cause they will spend so much time on the phone with me discussing options and issues, showing great customer service and having the right products available, that they are getting me to spend WAY more money than I ever wanted to. :LOL:

I have the awful B&O 8 speaker. So far I have sound matted and added the SGS block off plates, as well as added a Kicker KEY 200.4. After installing the KEY, all of my chimes started coming through the IPC which I can't stand the sound of. From what I've read here, this is due to the factory amp not detecting a load on the speaker outputs and thinking they're missing, so defaulting chimes to the IPC.

The KEY has a built-in ohm load with the "radio detect" feature, but that's only 3 ohms and didn't work. The guys at SGS suggested adding 20 ohm resistors to the speaker leads to fake a speaker load, so I did that to all four channels by splicing the resistor in-line (series) with one leg of the speaker feed. Still didn't work. Just to prove out it wasn't any other issue, I reconnected everything back to factory and the chimes came back through the speakers, so it definitely seems to be a speaker detection issue.

Does anyone know how I can get back to speaker chimes without needing to buy the $800 Zen module? Should my resistors be in parallel instead of series, i.e. wired across the +/- speaker leads rather than in-line with one of them? Is there a very specific ohm load the amp is looking for?
Sponsored

 

Bob Violence

Well-known member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Nov 1, 2021
Threads
10
Messages
148
Reaction score
199
Location
TX
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A FX4 Powerboost
I have to call out the guys over at @SoundsGoodStereo first. I'm beginning to hate these guys cause they will spend so much time on the phone with me discussing options and issues, showing great customer service and having the right products available, that they are getting me to spend WAY more money than I ever wanted to. :LOL:

I have the awful B&O 8 speaker. So far I have sound matted and added the SGS block off plates, as well as added a Kicker KEY 200.4. After installing the KEY, all of my chimes started coming through the IPC which I can't stand the sound of. From what I've read here, this is due to the factory amp not detecting a load on the speaker outputs and thinking they're missing, so defaulting chimes to the IPC.

The KEY has a built-in ohm load with the "radio detect" feature, but that's only 3 ohms and didn't work. The guys at SGS suggested adding 20 ohm resistors to the speaker leads to fake a speaker load, so I did that to all four channels by splicing the resistor in-line (series) with one leg of the speaker feed. Still didn't work. Just to prove out it wasn't any other issue, I reconnected everything back to factory and the chimes came back through the speakers, so it definitely seems to be a speaker detection issue.

Does anyone know how I can get back to speaker chimes without needing to buy the $800 Zen module? Should my resistors be in parallel instead of series, i.e. wired across the +/- speaker leads rather than in-line with one of them? Is there a very specific ohm load the amp is looking for?
This is what I used, worked perfectly. Pay attention to how it is wired.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZZJP4G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
 

SnareDrum

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2022
Threads
8
Messages
122
Reaction score
85
Location
Connecticut
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
Anyone know if load resistors are needed with the Mobridge A2B pro for the 2022s that had 8 speaker b&o? Still working with Mobridge support about chimes not coming though speakers. Currently don’t have the center speaker hooked up and the factory tweeters leads are disconnected. @SoundsGoodStereo any thoughts?
 

Sponsored

SoundsGoodStereo

Well-known member
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Joined
Apr 13, 2022
Threads
19
Messages
198
Reaction score
333
Location
Mount Juliet, TN
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone know if load resistors are needed with the Mobridge A2B pro for the 2022s that had 8 speaker b&o? Still working with Mobridge support about chimes not coming though speakers. Currently don’t have the center speaker hooked up and the factory tweeters leads are disconnected. @SoundsGoodStereo any thoughts?
For A2B interfaces, it will not be load-related, but rather software-related in the MoBridge / ZEN itself. I would stay in contact with MoBridge so they can identify the nerdy matrix code and push updates to you once they identify it.
 
OP
OP
EcoBeastCA

EcoBeastCA

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 8, 2023
Threads
21
Messages
135
Reaction score
136
Location
Canada
Vehicles
2023 402A
Anyone know if load resistors are needed with the Mobridge A2B pro for the 2022s that had 8 speaker b&o? Still working with Mobridge support about chimes not coming though speakers. Currently don’t have the center speaker hooked up and the factory tweeters leads are disconnected. @SoundsGoodStereo any thoughts?
How long has it been since it was installed? If the truck can't detect the factory amp it will throw a code and put chimes through the IPC for a bit, but should eventually revert back.

I also know a low battery SOC can cause it. These trucks have had a known run of bad batteries (despite Ford testing them and they come out "good") so check your voltage with the truck off and having sat overnight. Mines usually like 11.9v. ?
 

SnareDrum

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2022
Threads
8
Messages
122
Reaction score
85
Location
Connecticut
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat
How long has it been since it was installed? If the truck can't detect the factory amp it will throw a code and put chimes through the IPC for a bit, but should eventually revert back.

I also know a low battery SOC can cause it. These trucks have had a known run of bad batteries (despite Ford testing them and they come out "good") so check your voltage with the truck off and having sat overnight. Mines usually like 11.9v. ?
It’s been installed for over a year. I’ve reset dtcs numerous times. Put the truck in engineering mode. Battery was replaced over a year ago. ??‍♂
Sponsored

 
 







Top