Sponsored

Transmission fluid level

2A5X4A

New member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Jul 30, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
Oklahoma City
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7eb 4x4
Occupation
Aircraft maintenance
Hi! I have a 2021 2.7 ecoboost 4x4, I’m wondering what’s the correct range for transmission fluid, I have the #1-6 dipstick btw, thanks!
Sponsored

 

lrequa92

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
59
Reaction score
40
Location
New York
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew STX 5.0L 4x4
Hi! I have a 2021 2.7 ecoboost 4x4, I’m wondering what’s the correct range for transmission fluid, I have the #1-6 dipstick btw, thanks!
It needs to be between 5-6 at operating temperature which is 206-215 degrees Fahrenheit. Drive it around for a while and make sure you park it on level ground with truck running in park.
 

fordtruckman2003

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2023
Threads
26
Messages
4,587
Reaction score
3,746
Location
Indy
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Seems like a hot item to check when under a running vehicle.

Can you check it cold?
 

lrequa92

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
59
Reaction score
40
Location
New York
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew STX 5.0L 4x4
Seems like a hot item to check when under a running vehicle.

Can you check it cold?
Yeah you can. As long as you are reading at 6 on the stick when cold while the engine is running, you should be good. It will expand as it gets hotter and go into the optimal range. I was just stating what the service manual says to do.
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

2A5X4A

New member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Jul 30, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
Oklahoma City
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7eb 4x4
Occupation
Aircraft maintenance
It needs to be between 5-6 at operating temperature which is 206-215 degrees Fahrenheit. Drive it around for a while and make sure you park it on level ground with truck running in park.
Thank you!
 

Sponsored


OP
OP

2A5X4A

New member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Jul 30, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
Oklahoma City
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7eb 4x4
Occupation
Aircraft maintenance
Dang. That's conveniently located. LOL

Thanks for the info!
be careful don’t burn yourself, I used a bent needle nose to get the dip stick out after I remove the plug
 

JGDallas

Well-known member
First Name
Jaideep
Joined
Oct 18, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
56
Reaction score
24
Location
Frisco, TX
Vehicles
F150 STX
Occupation
Self Employed
Passenger side of the trans. 18 or 19mm bolt, faces up.
USE 19mm hex deep socket ONLY. That damn bolt is tightened crazy hard from the factory. Don't use 12-teeth socket... it will strip the bolt head. 18mm won't fit. Some folks suggest using 3/4" (hex or 12 teeth) socket ..... terrible idea. It will strip the bolt head. If you don't have the right tools, don't do the job (or in other words, don't destroy your truck).
 

FirstFord

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
65
Messages
771
Reaction score
675
Location
South Central Missouri
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
Can you check it cold?
Ford's instructions are to check the fluid HOT (if I recall correctly, between 205 and 215 degrees). This is for a good reason:
- The transmission contains fluid thermostats which operate similarly as the thermostat for your coolant. The fluid needs to be hot to get the thermostats open to get the fluid flowing through all cavities of the transmission.
- The fluid has incredible thermal expansion characteristics. You may want to take a look at this post: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...uid-expansion-it-sure-does.44428/#post-741393 . I think it is worth noting that during the poster's little experiment, when he checked the fluid cold, it didn't even show up on the stick.

I might understand the proposition / argument of if you first establish a baseline by checking it properly, as instructed by Ford, HOT . If needed, fill to obtain the appropriate level. Let the trans and fluid cool overnight, and check the level again when cold. IF the fluid registers on the dipstick, then you can make a rational, logical association with the previous fluid measurement when hot. I would understand the rationale behind that approach, but in my way of thinking (and with the issues that are associated with quality of fluid and fluid levels with the 10R80), it isn't worth taking such a shortcut. IMHO, checking the transmission fluid cold is a fool's errand.
 

Kelvin

Member
First Name
K
Joined
Sep 30, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
20
Reaction score
18
Location
Vancouver
Vehicles
F150
I have done three times of Transmission fluid change.
First time at around 30K, I did drain and refill only and verify fluid level while keep engine running and trans reached operation temperature.

Second time at around 60K, I did drop the pan and replace the filter as well, while filter was removed, I also loose those screws that attach the valve body to transmission frame, and let vale body loose, that way, it drained almost all fluids around 12 Liters. And refill back fluid later and verify fluid level when transmission is at operation temperature.

Third time at around 80K, I was lazy, I did drain and refill at cold engine/transmission.
I drained and measure how much and then just refilled same amount.

No issue at all, transmission is smooth as butter.

From what my observation, I really don't understand why it matter so much about the fluid level.
All fluid sit in pan will be sucked and pumped through the trans pump, and fluid pressure is only inside the valve body and transmission drums, when fluid in the pan has no pressure, and even overfill the fluid, it only cover up to to level of the filter and vale body, and it won't interfere with the pressured path, so what can cause issue when overfill??

Some says that overfill fluid may cause bubble in transmission, but I can see only thing that stir up bubble is the gear teeth of the pump, but the question is the gear must already merged under fluid level, otherwise, it can not suck in fluid if fluid not reach it pump entrance, so I still don't get it
 
Last edited:
 







Top