Sponsored

Spark plug change in a ‘21 Powerboost

Blackstallion

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
NC
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 3.5L Powerboost Lariat
My build date was 8/21, which seems to indicate the plugs should be Indexed plugs, but Ford did a HORRIBLE job in documenting this transition mid year since I'm getting conflicting information from them and the Auto parts retailers on which to use in my application.

I'll probably need to buy both Indexed and tapered plugs to make sure I can finish the job once plugs are pulled.
Sponsored

 

Mosey

Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Jun 26, 2022
Threads
106
Messages
855
Reaction score
725
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
My build date was 8/21, which seems to indicate the plugs should be Indexed plugs, but Ford did a HORRIBLE job in documenting this transition mid year since I'm getting conflicting information from them and the Auto parts retailers on which to use in my application.

I'll probably need to buy both Indexed and tapered plugs to make sure I can finish the job once plugs are pulled.
I’m just going to pull one out and look. I can then go get some at the local dealership.
 

Jim26

New member
First Name
Jimmy
Joined
Aug 17, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
New Mexico
Vehicles
2021 F150 platinum powerboost
My build date was 8/21, which seems to indicate the plugs should be Indexed plugs, but Ford did a HORRIBLE job in documenting this transition mid year since I'm getting conflicting information from them and the Auto parts retailers on which to use in my application.

I'll probably need to buy both Indexed and tapered plugs to make sure I can finish the job once plugs are pulled.

Did you end up changing them? What spark plug did you have? I am running into the same issue
 

Blackstallion

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
NC
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 3.5L Powerboost Lariat
Did you end up changing them? What spark plug did you have? I am running into the same issue
Not yet, only at 47k but I'm preparing to do the swap, will see once I pull them.
 

Kanuck

Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
2,727
Reaction score
2,875
Location
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just a thought..... over the many years of doing my own plug changes, I have found the least amount of grief was when I replaced them with OEM brand. What came out, went back in. I ran the gambit of trying this brand and then having to go back to OEM for some reason. I realize that with today's tech, the computers will adjust. Just MO..?‍♂
 

Sponsored

miniceptor86

Well-known member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Feb 13, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
93
Reaction score
104
Location
McGregor, iowa
Vehicles
2014 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, ‘25 powerboost on order, ‘39 Ford Tudor Standard
Occupation
tired
Which plugs did you go with? I'm looking at the NGK Ruthenium but wondering if I should just stick work Ford OE plugs?
I’m liking the NGK rutheniums. Installed at 90K, checked at 120 and 145. Gap remained as set. Previously Motorcrafts gap grew and were replaced at 30K intervals.
 

CDNash

New member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Aug 2, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
California
Vehicles
21’ F150 Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Electric
I’m liking the NGK rutheniums. Installed at 90K, checked at 120 and 145. Gap remained as set. Previously Motorcrafts gap grew and were replaced at 30K intervals.
Me too! Just changed to NGK Ruthie’s on Friday at 62.5k on the 21’ PB. I didn’t realize there were gasketed plugs vs not in the same build year. I got VERY lucky on the 0.28’s I ordered from MPT. Everything matched, little Dia grease and the socket got all 6 done in an hour.

Now to the important part…
Truck recently got Livernois tune and I stated it has CVF Titan2 IC, with charge pipes (tubes not installed yet), CAI etc. Wisdom was to run colder plugs with increased boost…

Truck fired up quieter and smoother. Just put 200 miles on into the Sierra’s and it was butter. Plugs are flawless! Rig is dialed, with Liqui Molygen on-deck to trade out Pennz plat+ full syn. Stay tuned for that update.
PS stock plugs looked as they should, with mild brown. Didn’t check gaps yet, expect they spread some and that’s the difference in idle and run improvements.
Sponsored

 
 







Top