Sponsored

My PowerBoost is essentially dead

JEB

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
1,985
Reaction score
1,984
Location
US
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
A few people here mentioned a new battery. I’ve mentioned this to the mechanic who takes it as an insult that I’m questioning his work (even though 8 weeks in he still hasn’t fixed my truck)…WELL, a Ford Service Manager on here has private messaged me, ran my VIN and he also seems to think it’s the…BATTERY!
Make sure they test three battery-related systems: (1) the starting battery; (2) the 12V auxiliary battery located under the passenger-side rear seat (this is not the hybrid battery—it’s part of the 12V system); and (3) the battery monitoring module bolted to the negative pole of the 12V starting battery.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

Josh35

Well-known member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
94
Reaction score
115
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
Make sure they test three battery-related systems: (1) the starting battery; (2) the 12V auxiliary battery located under the passenger-side rear seat (this is not the hybrid battery—it’s part of the 12V system); and (3) the battery monitoring module bolted to the negative pole of the 12V starting battery.
I know when I go equipped with this new Battery info the mechanic will once again take offense to it and ignore it. I’ve even told the Service Manager about it and she seems to ignore it also…8 weeks this Tuesday without the truck, maybe taking some advice would help since clearly they don’t know what to do. Ford Canada won’t send a tech out to help either, actually all Ford Canada says is “we’ll call the dealer for you”…ya I do that every other day and walk in once a week as they stop taking my calls (literally they won’t answer, but if I call from another phone they’ll answer). Imagine spending $80k+ on a truck to just be ignored.

Service manager told us that since it’s warranty related it won’t show up on CarFax - that was a lie, the used car manager said he can see EVERYTHING being done on the CarFax and that’ll affect the value of the truck going forward.
 

JEB

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
1,985
Reaction score
1,984
Location
US
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I know when I go equipped with this new Battery info the mechanic will once again take offense to it and ignore it. I’ve even told the Service Manager about it and she seems to ignore it also…8 weeks this Tuesday without the truck, maybe taking some advice would help since clearly they don’t know what to do. Ford Canada won’t send a tech out to help either, actually all Ford Canada says is “we’ll call the dealer for you”…ya I do that every other day and walk in once a week as they stop taking my calls (literally they won’t answer, but if I call from another phone they’ll answer). Imagine spending $80k+ on a truck to just be ignored.

Service manager told us that since it’s warranty related it won’t show up on CarFax - that was a lie, the used car manager said he can see EVERYTHING being done on the CarFax and that’ll affect the value of the truck going forward.
Not sure what to tell you then. If you can’t get help from your dealer, from Ford, from the Canada legal system or from a sale to someone else, all you’re left with is yourself. You might have to get a battery tester, learn FORscan, buy a programmer and an FDRS license. Not right. Not fair. But what other recourse do you have?
 

Jus Cruisin

Well-known member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Feb 13, 2021
Threads
15
Messages
910
Reaction score
962
Location
Metro Detroit
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I'd say it's time to see about getting the truck transported to another dealership.
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
^^^
We are early adopters. It comes with risks. Hopefully small, but sometimes more than.

We also often mention how it's ridiculous to have problems with an "$70,000" truck. But honestly, it's MORE likely because what is really different between the $35,000 F150 and the $70,000? Lol
Yea, you guessed it. $35,000 worth of STUFF that can be a potential issue.

Note that these aren't mechanical problems. It's not a waterpump or an exhaust manifold leak or a torque converter problem. That's what a mechanic has traditionally been skilled at. These are rolling computer networks.

I'm not sure many folks realize just how many wiring harnesses, end connectors, fuses, relays, and computer modules are in a F150 Powerboost. I still am amazed Ford built that truck and sells it for such a tiny increase in price. And all of the negative experience that the OP describes could happen to any Powerboost because of just ONE wiring harness connector being faulty or not assembled correctly.

My point really being is that you can just keep taking on the chin or you can take the financial hit and dump the truck. Or you can take matters into your own hands and buy a battery? It's pretty cheap considering how much you really already have paid for the ineptitude of the dealership.

Again, wish I lived near you. I'd give you my support just to get a grin out of it.
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

Josh35

Well-known member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
94
Reaction score
115
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
^^^
We are early adopters. It comes with risks. Hopefully small, but sometimes more than.

We also often mention how it's ridiculous to have problems with an "$70,000" truck. But honestly, it's MORE likely because what is really different between the $35,000 F150 and the $70,000? Lol
Yea, you guessed it. $35,000 worth of STUFF that can be a potential issue.

Note that these aren't mechanical problems. It's not a waterpump or an exhaust manifold leak or a torque converter problem. That's what a mechanic has traditionally been skilled at. These are rolling computer networks.

I'm not sure many folks realize just how many wiring harnesses, end connectors, fuses, relays, and computer modules are in a F150 Powerboost. I still am amazed Ford built that truck and sells it for such a tiny increase in price. And all of the negative experience that the OP describes could happen to any Powerboost because of just ONE wiring harness connector being faulty or not assembled correctly.

My point really being is that you can just keep taking on the chin or you can take the financial hit and dump the truck. Or you can take matters into your own hands and buy a battery? It's pretty cheap considering how much you really already have paid for the ineptitude of the dealership.

Again, wish I lived near you. I'd give you my support just to get a grin out of it.
So I should take a $13k hit because Ford built a shitty truck?
And why should I have to buy a new battery for a BRAND new truck? I shouldn’t be out of pocket a dime…
 
OP
OP

Josh35

Well-known member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
94
Reaction score
115
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
I'd say it's time to see about getting the truck transported to another dealership.
I’ve considered this, but other dealers cannot “look” at the truck for at least 2 weeks…
 
OP
OP

Josh35

Well-known member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
94
Reaction score
115
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
Hear me out - replace the battery. It is a common theme that a dud of a battery causes a cascade of error messages. All these modules not getting the proper voltage causes them to cut out. Tracks with your electronic accessories not working too. If you can, pull a known good battery out of another vehicle and drop it in, that way you can at least rule it out
Mechanic and service manager refuse to believe this is the cause and will not test out the battery…
 

thevofl

Well-known member
First Name
Rob
Joined
May 25, 2021
Threads
12
Messages
194
Reaction score
202
Location
Hayward CA
Vehicles
22 Antimatter Blue F150 Diet Platinum (Eventually)
Occupation
Math
Can going to the news media help?
 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So I should take a $13k hit because Ford built a shitty truck?
And why should I have to buy a new battery for a BRAND new truck? I shouldn’t be out of pocket a dime…
I didn't mean in any way to imply what YOU should do. Seriously, if it came across that way it was not my intention. Like I said, I wish I lived nearby so I could take a shot at fixing it myself.
 

Sponsored


OP
OP

Josh35

Well-known member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
94
Reaction score
115
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
I didn't mean in any way to imply what YOU should do. Seriously, if it came across that way it was not my intention. Like I said, I wish I lived nearby so I could take a shot at fixing it myself.
Ahh okay. I read it in that way, no harm no foul.

I’m genuinely shocked that people from all over have tried to help. I live in Toronto and have a guy in Dallas and a guy in Alabama trying to help me in my DM’s.
This forum is great, just wish the truck performed as it should, and that the mechanic would lose his ego
 

imnuts

Well-known member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Mar 1, 2021
Threads
26
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
1,675
Location
Dirty Jerz
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If you can't use your truck now and the current dealership is useless, what do you have to lose by waiting another two weeks for somewhere else to look at it? Have you tried contacting the service manager or dealership GM?
 
OP
OP

Josh35

Well-known member
First Name
Josh
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
94
Reaction score
115
Location
Toronto
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
If you can't use your truck now and the current dealership is useless, what do you have to lose by waiting another two weeks for somewhere else to look at it? Have you tried contacting the service manager or dealership GM?
Yep I only deal with the Service Manager now and the GM doesn’t really care as I didn’t buy the truck from his dealership .

Trying to get Ford Canada to send us a 2022 or give us our monies back but they only say “we’ll call the dealer for you”
 

J44snk

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
106
Reaction score
135
Location
Calgary, AB
Vehicles
2022 502a Long Box PB F150, 2016 Kia Sorento
Can you just purchase a battery on your own and give it to them asking for them to install it - worst case it costs you $150 out of your pocket - best case it fixes your truck!!

I wouldn’t look at a OEM battery, go with a Canadian Energy Battery and just give it to them.
 

Kanuck

Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
2,727
Reaction score
2,875
Location
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It has been 7 or 8 weeks now, what is another week or two? I would show up with a flat deck or buddy with a car hauler and off to another dealer, after all, it is YOUR truck. Inform the new dealership that the battery are to be tested and replace any battery that fails. Keep all the bills and have a visit to a lawyer. I would be going after the dealership and not Ford because Ford goes by what the dealer is saying. All this would be on every media I can post my story on.
Sponsored

 
 







Top