Sponsored

How to a Clean Ceramic Coat on interior

ChrisPAC

Active member
Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
25
Reaction score
4
Location
Somewhere where passwords don't matter.
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
Hello All

I recently had leather installed in my 2023 XLT, turned out great thankfully. I purchased the Hudson protection package when I bought the truck, thus I had the dealer apply the ceramic coat to the leather interior as well. Unfortunately the guys who did it sprayed recklessly and I have noticeable spots of ceramic coat on my dash, door panels, etc.. How do I resolve this? I’ve postulated that cleaning the surfaces and then applying another coat of ceramic spray evenly will resolve the issue. I appreciate any feedback y’all have. If there’s no easy fix on my end, I have no problem taking it to the dealership and having them clean the mess up. I’ll attach pictures here whenever I have better service. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
You paid good money so that it wasn't your problem. Contact whoever botched it for rectification on their time and dime.
 

SpaceWhiteF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Threads
71
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
1,582
Location
Montgomery, Texas
Vehicles
2021 F150
It really depends what they applied? Was it a spray on ceramic or one that came out of a glass bottle? Ceramic coatings take different amounts of skill levels to properly apply them.
 

Jmet8

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2022
Threads
4
Messages
172
Reaction score
273
Location
South
Vehicles
Bronco
Would like to see some pics. What was it they used. I second the take it back if you can. If not and you are going to do it yourself use lite colored micro fiber cloth so to watch to make sure you are not getting any color coming off on the rag. Start with less aggressive first. Like warm water , try some dawn, then dilute degreaser , each wipe watch for color. Than some isopropyl alcohol . If it was paint you would just put some more coating on the high spot and re level. Take picks and videos defore you do anything so you have something to go at them if you cant get it off.. let us know how it turns out.
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Would like to see some pics. What was it they used. I second the take it back if you can. If not and you are going to do it yourself use lite colored micro fiber cloth so to watch to make sure you are not getting any color coming off on the rag. Start with less aggressive first. Like warm water , try some dawn, then dilute degreaser , each wipe watch for color. Than some isopropyl alcohol . If it was paint you would just put some more coating on the high spot and re level. Take picks and videos defore you do anything so you have something to go at them if you cant get it off.. let us know how it turns out.
eh, I'd first take it for rectification. He doesn't know what he's working with and has a non zero chance of making it worse. Best to let the responsibility reside with those who did it.
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

ChrisPAC

Active member
Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
25
Reaction score
4
Location
Somewhere where passwords don't matter.
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
Would like to see some pics. What was it they used. I second the take it back if you can. If not and you are going to do it yourself use lite colored micro fiber cloth so to watch to make sure you are not getting any color coming off on the rag. Start with less aggressive first. Like warm water , try some dawn, then dilute degreaser , each wipe watch for color. Than some isopropyl alcohol . If it was paint you would just put some more coating on the high spot and re level. Take picks and videos defore you do anything so you have something to go at them if you cant get it off.. let us know how it turns out.
Thank you for your suggestion. I just got back from camping and haven’t had service. Here’s some pictures of the coat on the door panel, glove box, etc.


Ford F-150 How to a Clean Ceramic Coat on interior IMG_1464
Ford F-150 How to a Clean Ceramic Coat on interior IMG_1459
 
OP
OP

ChrisPAC

Active member
Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
25
Reaction score
4
Location
Somewhere where passwords don't matter.
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
It really depends what they applied? Was it a spray on ceramic or one that came out of a glass bottle? Ceramic coatings take different amounts of skill levels to properly apply them.
Im sure it came out of a spray bottle given how the spots are dispersed.
Ford F-150 How to a Clean Ceramic Coat on interior IMG_1464
Ford F-150 How to a Clean Ceramic Coat on interior IMG_1459
 
OP
OP

ChrisPAC

Active member
Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
25
Reaction score
4
Location
Somewhere where passwords don't matter.
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
You paid good money so that it wasn't your problem. Contact whoever botched it for rectification on their time and dime.
That’s a good point and probably what will end up happening given I don’t want to reapply ceramic coat to my door panel just to even it out, I never wanted it on the panel to begin with
 

Sponsored


RcFlyer330

Well-known member
First Name
Cameron
Joined
Jan 31, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
280
Reaction score
277
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
That's some pretty bad overspray. couple easy things to try that should not cause any damage are a damp microfiber or any automative brand (chemical guys, meguires, or whatever your local auto parts store has in stock) of all purpase cleaner on a microfiber cloth.

most intieror ceramic is more like a detail spray that leaves a small amout of ceramic behind. This is not the same as a true ceramic coating that you apply to paint.
 
OP
OP

ChrisPAC

Active member
Joined
Sep 16, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
25
Reaction score
4
Location
Somewhere where passwords don't matter.
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
That's some pretty bad overspray. couple easy things to try that should not cause any damage are a damp microfiber or any automative brand (chemical guys, meguires, or whatever your local auto parts store has in stock) of all purpase cleaner on a microfiber cloth.

most intieror ceramic is more like a detail spray that leaves a small amout of ceramic behind. This is not the same as a true ceramic coating that you apply to paint.
Thanks for that suggestion; does it matter that I’d have to wait a couple of days for the cleaner? I have no problem taking it back but I’d rather not give them another chance to mess something up if a simple cleaner like that will work
 

RcFlyer330

Well-known member
First Name
Cameron
Joined
Jan 31, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
280
Reaction score
277
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
well I wouldn't wait too long just because i dont know what could happen. But if you have a microfiber towel just get it damp with some water and try to clean it with just that.
 

Roush Auto Detailing

Active member
First Name
Trent
Joined
Sep 9, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
56
Location
North Carolina
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A XLT PowerStroke
Occupation
Manufacturing Team Lead, Professional Auto Detailer
Sorry this happened to you! This was indeed done by a spray on ceramic and was not a cheap one at that! A sprayable coating of that strength is likely DIY Detail Interior Ceramic. I would maybe reach out to them to see what they say about fixing it if you don’t want to take it back to the dealership.

This is a perfect example as to why you spray into the applicator or microfiber cloth and then apply it to the surface.

I just applied a coating on a car a dealership “detailed” and it was not clean at all… I also had a possible coating client who bought a brand new Lexus and paid something like $1800 for a “water based ceramic coating” applied by the dealership…??? They said it had no curing time and said she could wash it at the car wash down the road from them after she left the lot… I wouldn’t take it back to them either.

I would propose the dealership paying for it to addressed and reapplied by a professional detailer who cares about the results and knows how to use the coating.
 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
So, call me stupid - isn't ceramic essentially a super-thin coat of silica?

How can that work/last on a pliable material like leather? Or is it a marketing term and a completely different thing?
Sponsored

 
 







Top