Sponsored

How much is your truck payment?

Pedaldude

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
2,005
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2021 Ford F-150
With xplan they said had to go 60 mos at high rate...
yeah, X-Plan isn't contingent on any financing plan, as pointed out in post #9, it's possible that they rooked you in financing and it's not uncommon to see that and dealer add-ons being used to claw back buyer's X-Plan savings by shady dealers. Go see about refinancing with another lender after a few months and you can probably get a better rate.

At $50,000 after taxes and X-plan, I feel that the price was ridiculous for a regular cab XLT truck. However, the price wasn't nearly as preposterous as if I had ordered a base XL with zero options other than V-8 and 4X4. These new trucks are too damn expensive and it's driving up the used prices of old trucks. I was in the market for a used truck with 60-80k miles but because of high prices and the insanely long financing terms, it's almost impossible to find good deals on the open market. Especially if one is looking for a regular cab half-ton that hadn't seen hard use as a service vehicle, delivery truck or for landscaping.

I considered a lease but I hardly put enough miles on my vehicles to justify it and who knows what they are going to be selling 2024 trucks for? Money was available to purchase the truck outright but with the treasury printing cash like it's going out of fashion, potential inflation and the rising market made it easy to decide on financing at least half the purchase price and a $600 monthly payment for 36 months was a good compromise to hedge the possibility of another crash and potential deflation versus the more likely inflation and market gains because of that. The rates are so low, it's almost silly to not finance.

Ford F-150 How much is your truck payment? 1E5960C7-3404-4DFA-B56A-0CEBE439008A
Sponsored

 

Tizzzo

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Feb 5, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
451
Reaction score
389
Location
California
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Put 20k down and financed the remaining 34k at 2.5% APR for 72 months (will probably pay off sooner). $520 a month payment.
 

Blueshound

Well-known member
First Name
Dave
Joined
May 12, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
449
Reaction score
447
Location
Connecticut
Vehicles
2021 F150
302a, MSRP 57,000, paid $53,000, $0 down (paid 6.5% sales tax in cash) Ford finance was 4.9% to get an extra $1,500 incentive. After 3 months I refinanced at 1.49% for 66 months, payment is $833. Terrible economic decision really, but c'est la vie. It should retain value pretty well.
 

Merccat

Well-known member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Apr 4, 2021
Threads
6
Messages
581
Reaction score
456
Location
California
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I am planning on putting 17k down and getting a 72 @ 1.75 loan from my credit union for a payment of about $550/month. I will likely pay off a lot sooner but I like the option of making a lower payment if something were to come up.

Leasing (eternal car payment) not even a consideration for me as I keep cars long after paying them off.

Good points made on balancing the low rates with potential returns, a lot of people fail to consider the opportunity cost of taking that money out of reasonably safe investments, but I also hate debt. In the end I split the difference.
 

Sponsored

jeffcrum

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
652
Reaction score
698
Location
Lake Saint Louis, MO
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I was going to put a big chunk down. 35k. But, finance dude showed me the numbers of that and 5k.

I went 5k down, 60 months, 3.something. 1k/mo.

Thought about leasing. But, I want to keep it ?
 

dhrandy

Well-known member
First Name
Randy
Joined
Jul 25, 2021
Threads
19
Messages
801
Reaction score
645
Location
Concord, NC
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Haven't bought yet, but here's the plan with $11,000 down. Hoping I'll be as close as possible to the 2.3% from Navy Federal Credit Union.
Ford F-150 How much is your truck payment? 1628633628063
 

SumGuy

Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
633
Reaction score
591
Location
USA
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Payment will be about $1,100. 60 month financing. Not putting anything down. Keeping my cash and I’ll make double payments to get it paid off more quickly. At 1% financing.
 

JayceeP

Well-known member
Joined
May 13, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
404
Reaction score
267
Location
CAN
Vehicles
F150
Leasing simply gives you options beyond just being able to trade in every 3 years and sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn’t. If you are financing and the lease rate and financing rate are the same, there’s not really much incentive to “buy” the truck. After the lease is up you could then buy it out if you wish but of course the downside is the renewal rate may be higher but it also means you defer paying the full taxes which, if you live in Canada, is upwards of 15% of the purchase price. I leased because the financing rate was the same and I didn’t want to pay 15% sales tax on the full purchase price. Nothing stopping me from buying out the truck in 3 years.
 

Merccat

Well-known member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Apr 4, 2021
Threads
6
Messages
581
Reaction score
456
Location
California
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Leasing simply gives you options beyond just being able to trade in every 3 years and sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn’t. If you are financing and the lease rate and financing rate are the same, there’s not really much incentive to “buy” the truck. After the lease is up you could then buy it out if you wish but of course the downside is the renewal rate may be higher but it also means you defer paying the full taxes which, if you live in Canada, is upwards of 15% of the purchase price. I leased because the financing rate was the same and I didn’t want to pay 15% sales tax on the full purchase price. Nothing stopping me from buying out the truck in 3 years.
Interesting on deferring the taxes…. Got me looking into it…. Here it sorta works. I guess where I am at what they do is charge you sales tax as you go (on down payment and every payment)… so in the long term (because our sales tax seems to always go up, not down)… it would probably be more sales tax paid in the end. Dang, you got me excited for a moment lol!
 

Sponsored


saluki1969

Well-known member
First Name
Ron
Joined
Jul 31, 2020
Threads
3
Messages
139
Reaction score
99
Location
St Clair county, Illinois
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Put $45,000 down plus $11,000 from trade in. Zero percent for remainder for 36 months. Monthly payment $292 and change a month.
 

flynavy

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2021
Threads
15
Messages
294
Reaction score
163
Location
Midwest
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I am planning on putting 17k down and getting a 72 @ 1.75 loan from my credit union for a payment of about $550/month. I will likely pay off a lot sooner but I like the option of making a lower payment if something were to come up.

Leasing (eternal car payment) not even a consideration for me as I keep cars long after paying them off.

Good points made on balancing the low rates with potential returns, a lot of people fail to consider the opportunity cost of taking that money out of reasonably safe investments, but I also hate debt. In the end I split the difference.
Where are all these magical sub 2% credit unions?! Do you have to be a member? I’m buying truck tomorrow and would love a low ass 72 rate for some cushion.
 

additionsola

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
154
Reaction score
195
Location
Utah
Vehicles
Chevy Colorado

Merccat

Well-known member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Apr 4, 2021
Threads
6
Messages
581
Reaction score
456
Location
California
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Where are all these magical sub 2% credit unions?! Do you have to be a member? I’m buying truck tomorrow and would love a low ass 72 rate for some cushion.
Around here they advertise it on TV, there are at least two with rates like that. Yes you do have to join but joining is part of the loan setup if not already a member. The rate is also dependent on having automatic payments setup for a 0.1% discount.
Sponsored

 
 







Top