Sponsored

Can Faulty PCM Be Reprogrammed

tcmc11

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
My 2021 PB Lariat began to misfire and was diagnosed with a faulty PCM. 15k miles.
I was told to not drive it, and it's been parked at dealership for almost 3 weeks.
Per Ford, I am looking at another 10 days minimum before dealer gets the part. No guarantees then.
My question is can the current pcm be flashed/reprogrammed so I can drive the truck while waiting on the new part?
Sponsored

 

Snakebitten

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
11,560
Reaction score
22,964
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm going to get bit one of these days for being so skeptical, but I'm not buying the faulty powertrain control module diagnosis.

It seems with these Gen14 trucks the service departments are so lacking in expertise that at the first sign of unexplained symptoms or results they automatically declare the modules defective.

I know it's possible, but you will know for sure if the same day the new pcm arrives you should get your truck back. :)

I will happily eat crow for your benefit.
 

Jesse-Infotainment

Well-known member
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Joined
May 27, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
6,401
Location
Dallas
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning
It can definetley be reflashed. Im curious about the diag though.
 

Porpoise Hork

Well-known member
First Name
Bret
Joined
Aug 27, 2022
Threads
18
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
2,417
Location
Houston
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT Sys Admin
I'm going to get bit one of these days for being so skeptical, but I'm not buying the faulty powertrain control module diagnosis.

It seems with these Gen14 trucks the service departments are so lacking in expertise that at the first sign of unexplained symptoms or results they automatically declare the modules defective.

I know it's possible, but you will know for sure if the same day the new pcm arrives you should get your truck back. :)

I will happily eat crow for your benefit.
Well when you look at some of the recent and in some cases serious quality issues Ford has had, it would not surprise me in the least that there would be a batch of faulty modules out there. But yes many of the techs are woefully lacking in the changes with the current generation of F150's.
 

Sponsored

imnuts

Well-known member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Mar 1, 2021
Threads
26
Messages
1,580
Reaction score
1,675
Location
Dirty Jerz
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If it's truly faulty, reflashing it isn't going to fix anything. Did you or the dealer do any other troubleshooting though before the diagnosis? Move/replace coil packs, check the plugs, check wiring?
 
OP
OP

tcmc11

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Yes,, the tech supposedly went through various checks before settling on the PCM.
Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to ask them to reflash it. At least we would know for sure if it's bad or not.

Thanks for the responses.
 
OP
OP

tcmc11

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
South Carolina
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Update:
By surprise, replacement PCM made it the dealer earlier than expected.
Picked up my truck today and just finished a 200 mile trip. So far so good.
According to the paperwork, only work done was replacing the PCM.
 

Jesse-Infotainment

Well-known member
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Joined
May 27, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
6,401
Location
Dallas
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning
Glad to hear it worked out for you
Sponsored

 
 







Top