Sponsored

Android Auto randomly disconnects wirelessly--Don't want to us USB

SRQ_Ken

Member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Oct 30, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Location
Suncoast of FL
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Android Auto usually connects wirelessly without problem to my 2023 Lariat. However, at random I'll get a pop-up message on the screen that says "Wireless Connection Failed", with a suggestion to connect your phone via USB to use Android Auto. At that point, AA doesn't work.

When this happens, I check the wireless connection on my phone, and it shows that it is indeed still connected wirelessly to the truck.

Usually, after that disconnect message, I can go to my phone list, click on the AA icon next to the phone, and it will reconnect, at least for a while. But what is causing the disconnect (although the phone is still connected wirelessly)?

Thanks.
Sponsored

 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
It's your phone for the most part but also sync. There's a future update that will eventually roll out to increase compatibility. I have 2 phones, 1 performs flawlessly always, the other acts up in one of my vehicles. Use wireless for very short trips, use wired for 10m + journeys.
 

Jean Deaux

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
133
Reaction score
162
Location
DFW
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
It's your phone for the most part but also sync. There's a future update that will eventually roll out to increase compatibility. I have 2 phones, 1 performs flawlessly always, the other acts up in one of my vehicles. Use wireless for very short trips, use wired for 10m + journeys.
Both of my Android phones (older Samsung and newer Pixel) disconnect no matter what. With different Android versions installed and the latest AA update. The Sync is updated as well.
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
My S10 is flawless, the S21 randomly disconnects in the MME. No issues in the 150. There is no pattern
 

Sponsored

powerboatr

Well-known member
First Name
Robert
Joined
May 9, 2022
Threads
173
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
5,427
Location
North East Texas, Piney Woods
Vehicles
2024 F250 King Ranch Chrome
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
FWIW, phone is Galaxy S24
my s22 and wifes s21 both after samsungs last update connect ODD at times
one time it thinks her phone is primary in the truck and sometimes it thinks my phone is primary in her car
her explorer is sync3 and truck is sync4 so i narrowed to be a samsung issue ?
and in my truck the sync4 fails to connect to the trucks internet about every 4th or 5 th times i get in
i have to tell the phone to connect to HAL, where as before the last update, it would do it correctly
not sure if it helps
 

MonkeySpank

Well-known member
First Name
Rich
Joined
Sep 25, 2023
Threads
11
Messages
62
Reaction score
34
Location
Hawaii
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
It also could be the location, I get disconnected at the same locations without fail. AA uses both WiFi (only 2.4ghz) and Bluetooth, I found there are external transmissions interrupting connection, briefly disconnecting AA. This doesn't happen in my other car which uses 5ghz. I even tried putting up electrical shielding with no luck.
 
OP
OP

SRQ_Ken

Member
First Name
Ken
Joined
Oct 30, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Location
Suncoast of FL
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat
Interesting. But why would my phone show that I am still connected to the truck's wireless network? It seems a glitch in AA, not the wireless connection, no?

It also could be the location, I get disconnected at the same locations without fail. AA uses both WiFi (only 2.4ghz) and Bluetooth, I found there are external transmissions interrupting connection, briefly disconnecting AA. This doesn't happen in my other car which uses 5ghz. I even tried putting up electrical shielding with no luck.
 

MonkeySpank

Well-known member
First Name
Rich
Joined
Sep 25, 2023
Threads
11
Messages
62
Reaction score
34
Location
Hawaii
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
Interesting. But why would my phone show that I am still connected to the truck's wireless network? It seems a glitch in AA, not the wireless connection, no?
For me, the interrupts were very quick, most of the time I looked at my phone AA had reconnected to the WiFi, later I used a spectrum analyzer to monitor connection over time using a graph. The Bluetooth connection can be interrupted on occasion as well.
 

Sponsored


Jean Deaux

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
133
Reaction score
162
Location
DFW
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 5.0
My S10 is flawless, the S21 randomly disconnects in the MME. No issues in the 150. There is no pattern
My Samsung is S10 as well. And I agree, ain't no pattern here.
 

KirkBay

Well-known member
First Name
Kirk
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
100
Reaction score
55
Location
Prescott AZ
Vehicles
2021 FX4 PowerBoost, 64 El Camino, 65 Mustang Conv
Occupation
Software Engineer
My S23 will still disconnect, and almost immediately reconnect, when wired. This problem has been around for a year or two.
 

KYT

Active member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Sep 21, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
15
Location
Louisville, KY
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
How about "IT manager"
I've got a 2023 Lariat also, and I'm using Zenfone9. Mine does a similar thing. Some times it doesn't like the USB either. I use one of those magnetic USB cords, its from Amazon(China), so I don't pay it much attention when it complains about the USB. And yeah I'll leave the house and drive somewhere with wifi only, no issues. Then leave that place to go home, and it craps its pants. IDK why it's like that.

However, one thing I have noticed for sure, and it doesn't do this every time, is when I park my truck within wifi range at home. Which means my phone is on wifi too. When I start driving away, the truck loses the house wifi and tries to find something else to connect to. My phone loses wifi and connects to cellular. This is all standard tech stuff, BUT it seems some times the adhoc network that AA is using between the truck and phone gets goobered. Then they both throw their "hands" in the air and pout like children. Most of the time, I can go to the Phone menu and manually tell the truck to use the Zenfone for AA, and it does, everything is cool. Sometimes one side throws a tantrum, and they won't play nice.

Just do the restart keys on the Sync, probably fixes it; if not, restart the phone too.
Yes, I'm an IT/code guy, rebooting fixes things more times than you'd imagine. Sync and your phone are just computers after all. Yeah, this sounds like an obvious bandaid, and you're right. Finding the real problem involves access to the debug logs, and likely code changes. If you know how to get the debug logs, I would very much appreciate that information

If that doesn't get you going again, I guess you're listening to the radio and holding the phone to your ear just as we did for all years before now :D C'est la vie..
 

PowerBoostSoCal

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
304
Reaction score
266
Location
San Diego, CA
Vehicles
2025 Lariat EB, 2023 Lariat EB & 2021 F150 Lariat PB
Happens with Apple carplay too ... sometimes I can go weeks without any issues. Then one day it will act up 2 or 3 times a day. In my research, it is the phone that is about 99% responsible for the disconnects.
Sponsored

 
 







Top