Sponsored

5.0 revs for daily driving

Sigma1914

Well-known member
First Name
TJ
Joined
Jun 12, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
222
Reaction score
184
Location
South Florida
Vehicles
2023 Rocky Ridge Ford F-150 XLT 5.0L V8 Coyote
Hey all,

Considering an STX. I got a choice between the 5.0 and 2.7. I've driven both for work trucks but its been a couple of years. Leaning towards the Coyote though. I do keep hearing that it needs a lot of revs to get going. Out of curiosity, for around town conservative driving, what RPM' range are you sitting at? Do you need to really ring it out that much?

Another thing for me is I live at 7200 ft and sometime venture to around 10,000 ft of elevation. I won't be towing that often but when I do it will probably never be more than 6,000 lbs. I would go for the 3.73 gears probably.

I currently have a 2013 Tacoma with the 4.0 V6. Around town I rarely go over 2200 RPM unless I need to scoot. Has good low-end but that runs out quick on the highway.
Just my opinion but if I were you I’d go with the 5.0L Coyote. If you experience high RPM’s while towing just go grab this quick solution from UPR and go with their interchangeable PCV valve. I grabbed one myself to go along with their catch can and one way crankcase valve breather. Going with a slightly larger jet size of either 1.25 or 1.50 should help with those high RPM’s while towing. Here’s the link and don’t hesitate to give them a call if you have any questions. They’re a great company to deal with. Great customer service. If you do decide to purchase, I would select the option that says “adjustable with check valve.” They also have a YouTube video for a DIY instillation.

https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-plu...23-mustang-f150-explorer-hellcat-upr-5045-24/
Sponsored

 

Polo08816

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 11, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
635
Reaction score
376
Location
MD
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Okay, so now that you've gotten three pages worth of responses, it looks like it's best that you simply flip a coin..
By the way, I have the 5.0 and couldn't be happier. I'm just not a big fan of the cylinder deactivation feature which is resolved by driving in sport mode.

Good luck!
At least Ford’s implementation for cylinder deactivation isn’t as much of a disaster as it is on the GM 5.3 and 6.2.
 

HeadBanger

Well-known member
First Name
Ron
Joined
Oct 28, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
138
Reaction score
120
Location
Finleyville, PA
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
At least Ford’s implementation for cylinder deactivation isn’t as much of a disaster as it is on the GM 5.3 and 6.2.
Yeah, I have heard that it wasn't one of GM's highest quality implementations.
 
OP
OP
TacoJon

TacoJon

Active member
Joined
Jul 2, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
44
Reaction score
53
Location
NoCo
Vehicles
Lots
I ended up getting an F-150. I tested both the 2.7 and the 5.0. Both would have sufficed. Ultimately I picked the 5.0 as it felt more responsive to me. I also wanted an STX trim and with the 5.0 I get 350lbs of additional payload and and 1800 lbs of additional towing capacity. I live at elevation (7200 ft) and it feels more than adequate, especially after coming from my lethargic 4.0 Tacoma. Like others have mentioned in this thread, gotta be careful when you are passing. You will get to over 90 mph fast.
 

JExpedition07

Well-known member
First Name
James
Joined
Feb 14, 2023
Threads
68
Messages
2,126
Reaction score
3,664
Location
Buffalo NY
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I ended up getting an F-150. I tested both the 2.7 and the 5.0. Both would have sufficed. Ultimately I picked the 5.0 as it felt more responsive to me. I also wanted an STX trim and with the 5.0 I get 350lbs of additional payload and and 1800 lbs of additional towing capacity. I live at elevation (7200 ft) and it feels more than adequate, especially after coming from my lethargic 4.0 Tacoma. Like others have mentioned in this thread, gotta be careful when you are passing. You will get to over 90 mph fast.
Yep, it’s on the speed limiter before you know it. The 5.0 really shows its Mustang roots when you let her spin to pass, it wants to keep on going faster than the driveshaft can keep up. Unfortunately the truck driveshaft is only good for so many spins so they shut us down right after 100 :)
Sponsored

 
 







Top