Sponsored

4A switch for lighting

Mani

Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Sep 19, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
17
Reaction score
16
Location
NJ
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
My '21 xlt 4x4 didn't come with 4A. I want to add some off road lights for the front of the truck. I want OEM looking for the switch but don't want to do upfitters since I don't see myself adding more than one set of lights.

Is is possible/has anyone put a switch behind the 4A blank to use?
Sponsored

 

astrand1

Well-known member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Dec 16, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
833
Reaction score
606
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
My first thought is that it would not work. I put in a TOD transfer case into my 22 XLT so that I have 4A. When I popped out the switch to put the new one in it’s all kinda one piece with only one connector on the back that goes straight to the TCCM.
 

fordtruckman2003

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2023
Threads
26
Messages
4,587
Reaction score
3,746
Location
Indy
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Understand wanting OEM look.
There are a ton of switches to the left of steering wheel. If you don't have one of those then maybe that is your option.
Center console you can hide an aftermarket switch with that.
 

SALEEN961

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
653
Reaction score
876
Location
Radnor, PA
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
The drive mode selector switch only communicates on the HS-CAN2 network and doesn't use any dedicated wires for specific functions. Tapping directly into the ATCM/drive mode switch assembly is possible, but it won't be easy for most people.

If you're up for swapping in a new switch face and modifying the PCB to get the input from the switch, you will probably have to cut the traces to avoid giving the ATCM an input that it isn't supposed to see. The traces themselves are so small that I doubt you could even control a relay with them. You would probably want to use the switch to control a MOSFET, and you would use the MOSFET to control a relay which would control your lights.

Depending on your micro-soldering skills, it might be easier to just use the factory wiring for the e-locker if you don't have one. You could install an e-locker drive mode switch assembly and new TCCM, run a PMI to enable the e-locker, and use that output from the TCCM to power a relay for all your lights. This isn't cheap, but neither is installing a set of factory upfitter switches.
Sponsored

 
 







Top