Sponsored

Best options for dark roads with deer?

gooby

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 17, 2022
Threads
40
Messages
208
Reaction score
79
Location
FL
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I've been traveling for the last few weeks in some fairly remote state parks. I am coming across deer, bear, etc, every drive. I often see 0-1 cars on a 30 minute drive in the current place I am at. I am wondering what sort of lighting mods would be best for this scenario.

I already have the OEM projectors with glare free and dynamic bending. They are great, but I think some more light both further out and into the ditches would help for these remote roads. Thoughts?
Sponsored

 

Micho523

Well-known member
First Name
Jaime
Joined
Aug 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
325
Reaction score
343
Location
Atlantic Beach FL
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
Have you re-aimed your fog lights up? It's supposed to really help with ditch lighting.
 

Davidwnuc

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 13, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
631
Reaction score
536
Location
Mississippi
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
What he said above…mine were pointed straight down.
When i used to drive down country roads at night i got some pod lights and mounted them in the bumper opening with each pointed slightly towards the ditches. hid the switch under the dash near the obd11 port.
this was on a 2014 truck.
 

SpaceWhiteF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Threads
71
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
1,582
Location
Montgomery, Texas
Vehicles
2021 F150
OP
OP

gooby

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 17, 2022
Threads
40
Messages
208
Reaction score
79
Location
FL
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Need some real lighting!!

A pair of these in sport driving lense!
https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss5-bumper-led-pod-light-kit-for-2021-2023-ford-f-150.html

Then a pair of these in pro combo gof
https://www.diodedynamics.com/stage-series-backlit-ditch-light-kit-for-2021-2024-ford-f-150.html

For ~$850(without tax) you will be able to bring the sun down the road!
Cool, I'll order. If I were to start with one, which would you go with? Leaning toward the ditch lights. And you'd go white or yellow? This one?
Ford F-150 Best options for dark roads with deer? 1702495360221
 

Sponsored

BarnOwl

New member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Nov 18, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Location
Colorado
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew 3.5LPowerBoost Full Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Drive slower and "think deer". You will even get better gas mileage.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: sbi

Graygoose2021

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2021
Threads
37
Messages
2,780
Reaction score
2,846
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Cool, I'll order. If I were to start with one, which would you go with? Leaning toward the ditch lights. And you'd go white or yellow? This one?
1702495360221.png
White if you don't have alot of fog.
 

SpaceWhiteF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Threads
71
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
1,582
Location
Montgomery, Texas
Vehicles
2021 F150
Cool, I'll order. If I were to start with one, which would you go with? Leaning toward the ditch lights. And you'd go white or yellow? This one?
1702495360221.png
Would you rather have ditch coverage or spot lights illuminating the road ahead? That’s the question.
I would do white pro combos for the ditch lights!
 

Facemelter

Well-known member
First Name
Andy
Joined
Apr 3, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
128
Reaction score
98
Location
Ohio
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
Have a set of Baja Designs XL Sports in yellow mounted on SDHQ ditch light brackets. Bought this setup to see through fog while towing the boat late night and keeping an eye out for 4 legged critters trying to take out the side of my truck like they did on my 16.
 

Lricaud81

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2023
Threads
72
Messages
986
Reaction score
514
Location
Louisiana
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Have you gone through a car was with those ditch bracket mounted lights. I've been kind of thinking of getting some but sometimes go through a car wash and didn't want to rip them off
 

Sponsored


MichF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
65
Reaction score
34
Location
GR MI
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
The ss5 sport driving basically turn the sun on. It’s so much light at a huge distance. I love mine. I also got the ditch 3’s in sport dual lens but haven’t installed them.
I haven’t even perfectly aimed them yet and I’m more than happy.
I did need to modify the drivers side bracket due to an extra bolt that wasn’t accounted for in the bracket design.
 

Facemelter

Well-known member
First Name
Andy
Joined
Apr 3, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
128
Reaction score
98
Location
Ohio
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
Have you gone through a car was with those ditch bracket mounted lights. I've been kind of thinking of getting some but sometimes go through a car wash and didn't want to rip them off
The design of SDHQ is tough as hell. The brackets are absolutely beastly. I wouldn't have any issues going through a car wash with them, but I also lifted my truck during the same time. So me fitting through a car wash with -19 wheels and 12 wides wasn't something I wanted to find out.
 

wessermgm

Well-known member
First Name
Wes
Joined
Aug 24, 2022
Threads
23
Messages
831
Reaction score
1,019
Location
North Texas
Vehicles
2025 F250 King Ranch Tremor; 2024 Bronco Heritage (2DR)
I know you are asking about lighting, but in the Texas Hill Country where deer are as common as flies, this is the primary defense:

Ford F-150 Best options for dark roads with deer? 1702568329455
 

RickBullotta

Well-known member
First Name
Rick
Joined
May 23, 2022
Threads
34
Messages
1,021
Reaction score
1,260
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
All the lighting and diligence in the world won't avoid some animal hits - sh*t happens. Best thing you can do if you're really concerned is to armor up the front end. But that can mess with all the high tech cameras and sensors, so make sure it's a system designed for your truck to allow that stuff to still work.
Sponsored

 
 







Top