Sponsored

XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting

nall

Member
First Name
Jon
Joined
Jan 31, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
13
Reaction score
7
Location
CA
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
Tinkerer

Djlee1592

Well-known member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jan 19, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
226
Reaction score
163
Location
Upstate New York
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic
oemFordPartsOutlet.com came out the cheapest for me, $8 shipping

Items are front and rear floor lamps, cup holder, glovebox, media bin

1675937986965.png
Did you get your order yet. I ordered from them as well but everything still says "on order"
 

nall

Member
First Name
Jon
Joined
Jan 31, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
13
Reaction score
7
Location
CA
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
Tinkerer
Also a wire tie with an attached Christmas tree (or similar) to fit into the metal plates for the drivers side and both rear footwells.
I got some of these and found connecting them to the connector (not the wire) worked best. I am hoping this mimics what it looks like if you have the connectors from the factory.

Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 267AAABC-AF6C-4117-B449-3B25F129FA64
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Did you get your order yet. I ordered from them as well but everything still says "on order"
they sent an email stating 2 things were OOS -- after a few days I emailed them saying WTH is the order and they wanted a reply to the original email saying to ship IS items. So by the time they actually shipped it only 4 of 7 parts arrived. I told them that's a really dumb strategy and going forward they should ship in-stock and let the customer decide to do with the remaining items.

Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1677288396392
 

Texas2022XLT

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
303
Reaction score
131
Location
Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
they sent an email stating 2 things were OOS -- after a few days I emailed them saying WTH is the order and they wanted a reply to the original email saying to ship IS items. So by the time they actually shipped it only 4 of 7 parts arrived. I told them that's a really dumb strategy and going forward they should ship in-stock and let the customer decide to do with the remaining items.

1677288396392.png
I’m still waiting on the driver side light…
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

JHForman812

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 3, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
568
Reaction score
785
Location
Indiana
Vehicles
2022 F350
they sent an email stating 2 things were OOS -- after a few days I emailed them saying WTH is the order and they wanted a reply to the original email saying to ship IS items. So by the time they actually shipped it only 4 of 7 parts arrived. I told them that's a really dumb strategy and going forward they should ship in-stock and let the customer decide to do with the remaining items.

1677288396392.png
This is why I choose my local dealer, they let you wait the back order out and call you when it comes in. My dealer gets close to online prices and there’s no shipping charge so it’s probably really close to the same price.
 

Texas2022XLT

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
303
Reaction score
131
Location
Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
This is why I choose my local dealer, they let you wait the back order out and call you when it comes in. My dealer gets close to online prices and there’s no shipping charge so it’s probably really close to the same price.
John is 100% right! My driver side is my dealer and they match parts.ford.com pricing which is awesome.
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
I hate my dealer, the only time I will acknowledge they exist is to say, "I HATE MY DEALER". I wallet vote often. I have so much going on that I get to things when I get to them. So long as the parts show up, they'll get put in. OTOH, I've got ambient lighting in my doors :)

Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1677290189486


pay no attention to the tools, still working on other things
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1677290230546


Much more subtle in person. These are on the vehicle's dimming circuit via dash lights, not on the ambient circuit. They're so subtle that being able to control them isn't a big deal, though they do dim with the dash light dimming circuit. Color is 'ice blue' and not blue blue. Not a perfect teal of the factory, but GudNuff ™
 
Last edited:

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Update on floor lighting... (don't have glovebox / media box lights to compare yet)
ML3Z-14A411-B (Front Pass) - Part is unique, it's the female to the other's male plugs
ML3Z-14A318-A (Longer rear (white tape), can work in 3 spots w/ excess wire, both rears have same connectors**)
ML3Z-14A318-B (shorter rear (green tape), perfect for cutting for driver position if part not available, such as I'm dealing with @Texas2022XLT )

Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1677294180756


** (ML3Z-14A318-B) Rear part connector can be shaved down to make it fit driver - cut this notch off (nice new razor blade, easily shaves right off!)
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1677294159383


The result - perfect fit
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1677294223628


In typical ford fashion, 4 unique parts that with proper vehicle harness design, could have ALL been the exact same part. Keep in mind, unique parts cost $10k / piece on average to have in the system, and that's not counting the fact that it's easier to produce 4 of the same part than 4 unique parts plus the economies of scale. This is why tesla is kicking the OEM's asses right now.
 
Last edited:

mrtull

Well-known member
First Name
Jeffrey
Joined
Dec 14, 2022
Threads
23
Messages
253
Reaction score
174
Location
Socorro, NM
Vehicles
2024 XLT PB 302A in Darkened Bronze Metallic, 2023 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Teacher
Full Disclosure... this post is not for a finished project, but one step. However I figured I'd throw out some basic stuff that noobs such as myself might not know. If you would have told me three months ago I'd be removing panels and covers to mess with electrical, I'd say you were smoking something! And here I am. A MILLION thanks to all who posted.

First off.... The C2280C connector harness can be snapped apart for easy insertion of the red jumper wire provided by John. Thanks to my son who grew up on Legos and K'nex for seeing this because I did not. It snapped back together, no problems at all.
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 20230224_142451


Second... orientation of the jumper. It was pointed out that the jumper wire can be rotated to match the other wires, and I wanted to reaffirm that point. Turns out that one face of the male jumper end has an extruding bump. I kept trying to point that bump up so the jumper could lay flat in the slot. That bump is actually to help lock it in place, so it points down. I didn't get a very good picture, but this is how I worked on lining it up. The bump doesn't really show though:
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 20230224_142722


Now that you've gotten the jumper installed, it's time to do the passenger side light, which is the yellow wrap with the black connector. @Texas2022XLT pointed out how it will be attached to a holder but I wasn't sure what he meant. Now I get it... Ford spent money including a piece to hold the wire to punish those who did not spend money on the ambient lighting! I suppose letting it just dangle would have been too obvious:
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting Resized_20230307_171810.jpeg


Once you've pulled down the liner, the square for insertion is unmistakable:
Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 20230307_173742


And after FORscan changes, it works! A huge thank you to John who started all this ruckus, and I'll post back after I'm completely done if there's anything that might be helpful to somebody. I once said I feel like a Kindergartener in here... Guess who's going to 1st grade baby!! :cool:
 

Sponsored


OP
OP

JHForman812

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 3, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
568
Reaction score
785
Location
Indiana
Vehicles
2022 F350
Full Disclosure... this post is not for a finished project, but one step. However I figured I'd throw out some basic stuff that noobs such as myself might not know. If you would have told me three months ago I'd be removing panels and covers to mess with electrical, I'd say you were smoking something! And here I am. A MILLION thanks to all who posted.

First off.... The C2280C connector harness can be snapped apart for easy insertion of the red jumper wire provided by John. Thanks to my son who grew up on Legos and K'nex for seeing this because I did not. It snapped back together, no problems at all.
20230224_142451.jpg


Second... orientation of the jumper. It was pointed out that the jumper wire can be rotated to match the other wires, and I wanted to reaffirm that point. Turns out that one face of the male jumper end has an extruding bump. I kept trying to point that bump up so the jumper could lay flat in the slot. That bump is actually to help lock it in place, so it points down. I didn't get a very good picture, but this is how I worked on lining it up. The bump doesn't really show though:
20230224_142722.jpg


Now that you've gotten the jumper installed, it's time to do the passenger side light, which is the yellow wrap with the black connector. @Texas2022XLT pointed out how it will be attached to a holder but I wasn't sure what he meant. Now I get it... Ford spent money including a piece to hold the wire to punish those who did not spend money on the ambient lighting! I suppose letting it just dangle would have been too obvious:
Resized_20230307_171810.jpeg.jpg


Once you've pulled down the liner, the square for insertion is unmistakable:
20230307_173742.jpg


And after FORscan changes, it works! A huge thank you to John who started all this ruckus, and I'll post back after I'm completely done if there's anything that might be helpful to somebody. I once said I feel like a Kindergartener in here... Guess who's going to 1st grade baby!! :cool:

Thank Ford for starting this! I just wanted my cup holder lights back in my super duty lol
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
My media bin connector was dead, going to yank out the passenger seat to get to C3133 -- I suspect pin 19 is installed as those 2 lamps work as they should but pin 22 on the truck side may be missing as though present, it's dead....

Ford F-150 XLT trucks with push button start cup holder/ambient lighting 1678417744302
 

volvofan94

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 16, 2021
Threads
14
Messages
81
Reaction score
21
Location
Midwest
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5L EcoBoost, '19 GT350
Completed my installation earlier this evening and got to say it looks great. Big thank you to @JHForman812 for your help with the harnesses and guidance with installation, very much appreciated!

Couple observations from my install:
1. For the Media bin light harness I added it to the harness which powers the large storage console box light. Threw me for a bit of a curve ball when I got everything together and the cup holder lights didn’t come on. A quick tear down then rewiring fixed it. Now I have all lights come on when the doors are open and interior lights are on. Which leads me to question 2.

2. What FORscan changes are needed to have the footwell lights on when driving? I want them to act as if they were part of the dash illumination system; when your headlights/parking lights are on the footwell/cup holder lights are on too. Mine turn on then off with the interior lights except for the Media Bin light, which is on while driving. Tomorrow I’ll change the setting to ALSS Variant 1 and see if that fixes it. However, I wasn’t sure if other FORscan changes were needed.

3. Are we able to control the brightness of the lights though the 12” radio screen?


Thanks!!
 

Texas2022XLT

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
303
Reaction score
131
Location
Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
Completed my installation earlier this evening and got to say it looks great. Big thank you to @JHForman812 for your help with the harnesses and guidance with installation, very much appreciated!

Couple observations from my install:
1. For the Media bin light harness I added it to the harness which powers the large storage console box light. Threw me for a bit of a curve ball when I got everything together and the cup holder lights didn’t come on. A quick tear down then rewiring fixed it. Now I have all lights come on when the doors are open and interior lights are on. Which leads me to question 2.

2. What FORscan changes are needed to have the footwell lights on when driving? I want them to act as if they were part of the dash illumination system; when your headlights/parking lights are on the footwell/cup holder lights are on too. Mine turn on then off with the interior lights except for the Media Bin light, which is on while driving. Tomorrow I’ll change the setting to ALSS Variant 1 and see if that fixes it. However, I wasn’t sure if other FORscan changes were needed.

3. Are we able to control the brightness of the lights though the 12” radio screen?


Thanks!!
Did you make the Forscan changes in the beginning of this thread? The lights should stay on when your lights are on, mine do and yes you can adjust the brightness from the 12 in screen.
 
OP
OP

JHForman812

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 3, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
568
Reaction score
785
Location
Indiana
Vehicles
2022 F350
Did you make the Forscan changes in the beginning of this thread? The lights should stay on when your lights are on, mine do and yes you can adjust the brightness from the 12 in screen.
I second this, you’re missing something also note I had an error in the part that had the changes and it’s been fixed.
Sponsored

 
 







Top