Sponsored

Ford Special Service Message regarding Stop Safely Now

Kanuck

Well-known member
First Name
Don
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Threads
33
Messages
2,727
Reaction score
2,875
Location
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That makes sense.
Sponsored

 

DRP84

Member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Sep 9, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
14
Reaction score
18
Location
Canton, NY
Vehicles
2023 F 150 Powerboost XLT SPORT
Occupation
Retired
I went to fetch the truck from the barn a few minutes ago.
THIS IS EXACTLY why I think these trucks get misdiagnosed by dealerships and they don't know that the battery is potentially the culprit because it momentarily is not providing adequate voltage. And it only takes a moment, a crucial moment to be exact, for the truck to experience some crazy behavior.

Note the timestamps of each snapshot. This all takes place quickly.

I take a reading of the static voltage BEFORE approaching the truck.

Screenshot_20231119_112427_Battery Monitor.jpg


Looks fairly good, right?
(other than the fact that 12.56V is considered 67% SOC, but Ford's BMS thinks the battery is about 80% SOC)

Ok. Now ALL I do is walk up to the truck. I haven't touched anything, but it wakes up to the FOB proximity.

Immediate voltage drop!

Screenshot_20231119_112516_Battery Monitor.jpg


CrAzY, right?

This is why I do the now infamous "2-step" Powerboost starting technique. (It's not because I have ever been stranded by SSN)

I hit accessory power only.
Immediately the DC/DC converter (electronic alternator) kicks in and provides a healthy dose of LV voltage to the entire 42 module ensemble that makes up my truck.
Gotta love the Powerboost for this ability! I wish my Nissan Leaf EV did the same.

Screenshot_20231119_112556_Battery Monitor.jpg


Makes me feel better every time I see that 13V+ BEFORE I hit the start button. ?

I then hit the start button and the BMS says "maybe we should increase the SOC of that AGM".

Yea, you do that please.
(better late than never, I guess)

Screenshot_20231119_112611_Battery Monitor.jpg
My 23-2317 TSB update was done several weeks and 1000 miles ago with no new problems. I’ve only had the SSN one time.
I keep my fob in the cab and use the keypad to unlock. I’ve been better about about 2 step starts and high idle until the ICE shuts down when I stop for the night.
I’d be curious to see battery stats for my starts so I may be getting a monitor soon. My question is whether it is a bad idea to continue to leave the fob in the cab, especially since I leave the truck outside all winter. 17F here yesterday morning and this morning.
I’d appreciate any advice…
 
 







Top