Sponsored

Damaged my beautiful wheel

islandboy47

Well-known member
First Name
Adam
Joined
Aug 10, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
79
Reaction score
66
Location
Florida
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariat FX4
Today did something really dumb and squeezed between a curb and a stopped car in front me at a stoplight so I could turn right and I scraped up my 20" six spoke wheel. It probably wouldn't have been an issue if there wasn't a storm drain there (which I couldn't see until I was already most of the way past the other car) and the sharper corner at the top of that sticks out more than the curb. Anyway, it's super painful to see so I'm going to just replace the wheel. I found an almost new one on Ebay, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one. I think there's only one 20" dark alloy six spoke wheel out there, right? There shouldn't be any other dimensions or colors I need to match before buying the new wheel, can someone please confirm?

Ford F-150 Damaged my beautiful wheel PoorWheel
Sponsored

 

Ford4Ever

Well-known member
First Name
Dennis
Joined
Mar 8, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
289
Reaction score
243
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
As far as I know, there is no difference in the wheels over the 3 years. I have seen a few at dealerships and on the street and haven't noticed any changes compared to mine. The only thing I would be concerned about is refurbished wheels that may not color match.
 

powerboatr

Well-known member
First Name
Robert
Joined
May 9, 2022
Threads
173
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
5,427
Location
North East Texas, Piney Woods
Vehicles
2024 F250 King Ranch Chrome
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

Nasto

Well-known member
First Name
Neil
Joined
Nov 8, 2021
Threads
6
Messages
659
Reaction score
620
Location
Eagle, Idaho
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Today did something really dumb and squeezed between a curb and a stopped car in front me at a stoplight so I could turn right and I scraped up my 20" six spoke wheel. It probably wouldn't have been an issue if there wasn't a storm drain there (which I couldn't see until I was already most of the way past the other car) and the sharper corner at the top of that sticks out more than the curb. Anyway, it's super painful to see so I'm going to just replace the wheel. I found an almost new one on Ebay, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one. I think there's only one 20" dark alloy six spoke wheel out there, right? There shouldn't be any other dimensions or colors I need to match before buying the new wheel, can someone please confirm?

PoorWheel.jpg
curb rash is a bitch!
 

eharri3

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Feb 23, 2023
Threads
15
Messages
231
Reaction score
246
Location
Pa
Vehicles
21 Ford F150
Occupation
Business
I badly Gouged a black painted wheel on my 2016 Challenger RT blacktop edition a few years ago in the same scenario. The body shop I use farmed it out to a wheel refinisher they use who repaired the metal and refinished it all. Looked like new and was impossible to tell. Looked perfect over 2 years later when I sold it. What I did was way, way worse than the scratches I see here. I wouldn't think twice about having the wheel in the photo refinished. But just me. I think mine cost about 250 to fix.
 
Last edited:

Sponsored

bfastr

Well-known member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Jun 28, 2022
Threads
7
Messages
631
Reaction score
988
Location
Nashville
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I feel your pain... did this to mine less than a month in.
I will be looking for a wheel re-finisher myself too.
Also looked at used wheels online, but I am reluctant to buy a wheel I cant inspect myself as they all say " some minor scuffs" which could be as bad as I already have.

Ford F-150 Damaged my beautiful wheel IMG_6771
 

Pedaldude

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
2,005
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2021 Ford F-150
It happens and I’ve bent, curbed or even taco’d more wheels than I care to remember.

If it were me and I was planning to keep the truck a few years; I’d check the local used market for an entire take-off wheelset. I see those 20” wheels in the $600-900 range for a full set. Then I’d polish out the stress risers in the rashed wheel and use some touch up paint myself before rotating it to the spare tire position and if the take-offs match the tires on your current set, you could rotate them all out. I wound up with a set of 6 matching wheels/tires on my last truck and got 50% more miles out of them than had it only been a regular 4 tire rotation.

First, check out your spare. You might be one of those lucky people that got a full size matching spare wheel/tire!

Good luck!
 

bfastr

Well-known member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Jun 28, 2022
Threads
7
Messages
631
Reaction score
988
Location
Nashville
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
It happens and I’ve bent, curbed or even taco’d more wheels than I care to remember.

If it were me and I was planning to keep the truck a few years; I’d check the local used market for an entire take-off wheelset. I see those 20” wheels in the $600-900 range for a full set. Then I’d polish out the stress risers in the rashed wheel and use some touch up paint myself before rotating it to the spare tire position and if the take-offs match the tires on your current set, you could rotate them all out. I wound up with a set of 6 matching wheels/tires on my last truck and got 50% more miles out of them than had it only been a regular 4 tire rotation.

First, check out your spare. You might be one of those lucky people that got a full size matching spare wheel/tire!

Good luck!

you and I think alike !! I am watching the local adds. F-150 wheels pop up all the time. I may use the opportunity to grab a completely different design, then throw on some more agressive tires and have two sets to play around with. meanwhile a quicky shot of "chrome" paint makes my scratch invisible from 10 feet away. well maybe 20 if you know where you are looking !!!
 

diambo4life

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
959
Reaction score
1,078
Location
OKC
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
It's a stock wheel and they are relatively inexpensive to replace. Exercise caution because you don't want to do something like that if you had a set of $3000 wheels lol. Use it as a lesson learned.
 

Sponsored


RuggedGoods

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
105
Reaction score
87
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
I feel like I can hear the noise in my head when looking at those pics. SCCRRRRRTCCHH.... on the curb. then the odor of shame.

Front wheel was unscathed?
 

nezff

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Threads
19
Messages
489
Reaction score
367
Location
Louisiana
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
get them powdercoated black!
 
OP
OP
islandboy47

islandboy47

Well-known member
First Name
Adam
Joined
Aug 10, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
79
Reaction score
66
Location
Florida
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariat FX4
I feel like I can hear the noise in my head when looking at those pics. SCCRRRRRTCCHH.... on the curb. then the odor of shame.

Front wheel was unscathed?
It haunts me in my dreams. But yeah only that wheel hit anything.
 

nezff

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Threads
19
Messages
489
Reaction score
367
Location
Louisiana
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
 







Top