Sponsored

Tow Hooks for 2 Wheel Drive?

Bossharp

Well-known member
First Name
Clinton
Joined
Dec 1, 2023
Threads
28
Messages
581
Reaction score
605
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
I'm getting a 2024 XL Regular cab 2 wheel drive and have thought about adding tow hooks 'just in case' the 3.73 locker gets me trouble lol! Has anyone else did or thought about adding them? Same for skid plates to protect the underside. I'm not planning to lift the truck or add bigger tires but think it might be a low cost mod that could help get me get out of trouble.
Sponsored

 

UncleWillie

Active member
First Name
Willie
Joined
Oct 11, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
25
Reaction score
23
Location
N. Georgia
Vehicles
'23 Tremor 402a 3.5 EB
Why not? They'll help you in a pinch and look good to boot. I was always blown away by my former coworker's ability to get to 90% of the places we needed to be when we were on remote job sites with his 2-wheel drive truck with good tires and a rear locker. Sure, there was a time or two we had to pull him out, but it was a rarity.
 
OP
OP

Bossharp

Well-known member
First Name
Clinton
Joined
Dec 1, 2023
Threads
28
Messages
581
Reaction score
605
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
Since adding 4×4 was over 5 grand I passed.. With my lifestyle/use I didn't think it was worth it. I remember 40 years ago it was popular to set up a 2×2 with a lift and big tires especially a single cab shortbed. But I was never running in that group so I don't know first hand how well they worked.
 

Graygoose2021

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2021
Threads
37
Messages
2,780
Reaction score
2,846
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Since adding 4×4 was over 5 grand I passed.. With my lifestyle/use I didn't think it was worth it. I remember 40 years ago it was popular to set up a 2×2 with a lift and big tires especially a single cab shortbed. But I was never running in that group so I don't know first hand how well they worked.
Leveled 2WD here :)

Ford F-150 Tow Hooks for 2 Wheel Drive? 20231007_163051_resized_1
 

smoqinhill

Active member
First Name
Randy
Joined
Oct 10, 2023
Threads
6
Messages
43
Reaction score
53
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
ordered 2024 XLT F150, Silverado 1500
Occupation
Retired
Since adding 4×4 was over 5 grand I passed.. With my lifestyle/use I didn't think it was worth it. I remember 40 years ago it was popular to set up a 2×2 with a lift and big tires especially a single cab shortbed. But I was never running in that group so I don't know first hand how well they worked.
I am in the same boat. Live in Michigan and have on order a 2WD XLT SCREW. Couldn't justify an extra 4 G's. I have owned a 4WD Grand Cherokee and a 4 WD Cherokee sport. I only ever needed 4wd if I happened to be out looking for a reason to use it. I don't off road and in the last 17 years have owned and still own 2 / 2WD Silverado's and never had an issue that I couldn't overcome with 2WD and neither of the Silverado's have an E locker like my XLT will have not to mention some of the other enhanced driving safety features. To each their own. As far as the tow hook enhancement. I think it is a good idea with 2 or 4 WD. I may look into it myself depending on what may be involved.
 

Sponsored

Henfield

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
637
Reaction score
478
Location
Usa
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Can't blame you for passing. This winter I haven't used 4wd once. Last year it was only briefly to get out of my driveway on snowy days. Being an XLT I like to use mine cautiously.
 

Probity

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
85
Reaction score
95
Location
Covington LA
Vehicles
2018 F150 Scab XLT 2.7EB 2wd
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting a 2024 XL Regular cab 2 wheel drive and have thought about adding tow hooks 'just in case' the 3.73 locker gets me trouble lol! Has anyone else did or thought about adding them? Same for skid plates to protect the underside. I'm not planning to lift the truck or add bigger tires but think it might be a low cost mod that could help get me get out of trouble.
A radical/extreme $45k+ solution - get a Chevy/GMC 2wd - recovery padeyes standard on 2wd models I've seen (WT or Pro trims).

Seriously I've never understood why Ford hasn't offered these on their 2wd F150's even as an option. I looked at adding these on a '16 2wd F150 Screw I had but it was going to be a PITA to retrofit, don't know about the Gen14's. My thinking was and is, my 2wd truck is probably not that likely to be the RECOVERY vehicle but with 2wd I'm more likely to need to be the RECOVERED vehicle.
 

wrgrimes

Well-known member
First Name
Reid
Joined
Aug 16, 2022
Threads
10
Messages
241
Reaction score
204
Location
Shreveport, LA
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
I’m watching this- I have a 2WD 2023 PB.
I asked a dealer and the computer said tow hooks are not available for 2 WD.
I’m guessing that the computer emulates the build guidelines.
To my knowledge, the bumper knockouts and attachments are present (but I am no expert). My friend with a 2WD Chevrolet added tow hooks aftermarket.
 
OP
OP

Bossharp

Well-known member
First Name
Clinton
Joined
Dec 1, 2023
Threads
28
Messages
581
Reaction score
605
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
I don't think it will be a huge problem to add factory ones but I will look at aftermarket ones too. It just seems like a practical low cost mod for a 2 wheel drive truck.. I'm wondering if skid plates protecting part of the undercarriage might fall in that same category. I believe some plastic is used under there? No one plans on running over debris in the road but it happens all the time. I hit a raccoon in my Fit and I nicknamed it the "$2,000.00 Raccoon"....
Edit: Has anyone added towhooks to the rear? I once seen a bumper ripped off in Daytona Beach trying to pull a smaller truck that was just slightly stuck..
 

SpaceWhiteF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Threads
71
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
1,582
Location
Montgomery, Texas
Vehicles
2021 F150
2wd drive owner here! I did the swap to add tow hooks, you have to replace the lower valence to a 4wd version. The opening behind the covers is not large enough to fit a factory tow hook. You might be able to fit the Mishmoto tow hook or the rough country shackle conversion, but I’m not sure! If you need part #’s I can go back and try to find them.

Ford F-150 Tow Hooks for 2 Wheel Drive? IMG_3111


Ford F-150 Tow Hooks for 2 Wheel Drive? IMG_3362
 

Sponsored


nickgambo

Active member
First Name
Nick
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
40
Reaction score
19
Location
Petaluma
Vehicles
Carbonized Gray 2023 Lariat 501A 5.0L SAP
Occupation
Program Coordinator
2wd drive owner here! I did the swap to add tow hooks, you have to replace the lower valence to a 4wd version. The opening behind the covers is not large enough to fit a factory tow hook. You might be able to fit the Mishmoto tow hook or the rough country shackle conversion, but I’m not sure! If you need part #’s I can go back and try to find them.

IMG_3111.webp


IMG_3362.jpeg
I would be interested in a parts number list if you don’t mind! I’m assuming they’re all universal regardless of trim? I have a 23 501A. Thanks!
 

SpaceWhiteF150

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Threads
71
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
1,582
Location
Montgomery, Texas
Vehicles
2021 F150
I would be interested in a parts number list if you don’t mind! I’m assuming they’re all universal regardless of trim? I have a 23 501A. Thanks!
Just logged in to ford parts and it says I have no orders! I’ll try to look through the fordparts site tomorrow. Do you have a body colored or chrome bumper?
 

nickgambo

Active member
First Name
Nick
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
40
Reaction score
19
Location
Petaluma
Vehicles
Carbonized Gray 2023 Lariat 501A 5.0L SAP
Occupation
Program Coordinator
Just logged in to ford parts and it says I have no orders! I’ll try to look through the fordparts site tomorrow. Do you have a body colored or chrome bumper?
Thank you for looking into this! Mine is body colored. No parking sensors or anything also.
 
 







Top