Sponsored

Michelin Primacy OEM tires not holding up

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2023
Threads
59
Messages
733
Reaction score
474
Location
Colorado
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I didnt really have strong feelings about the stock tires up until they started dry rotting after less than 3 years and 11k miles. They seem to use a pretty soft rubber that grips okay, but has had some gouges and cuts in the treads. I used the graphine tire protectant from turtlewax religiously, but these tires are at least twice as dry rotted as the 8yo sumitomos on my mustang that needs a fresh set.

Anyone else these shitty "made in candyland" tires breaking down real fast?
Sponsored

 

Fox146

Well-known member
First Name
Dana
Joined
Nov 1, 2023
Threads
7
Messages
400
Reaction score
429
Location
Canada
Vehicles
21 limited sold
I’ve had good luck with other Michelin tires. I find the “oem” version of tires are usually lacking in some form . Usually the store bought versions are much better. The Hankooks are another such example. The AT2 version you can buy is way better and different than what Ford sticks on. They are just buying boatloads of tires at a set cost
 

js312

Well-known member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Dec 12, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
333
Reaction score
268
Location
New England
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
Primacy XC? They came on my 2018 and were some of the worst tires I have ever had. However, the Michelin LTX M/S is one of the best tires I have ever had.

The Hankook A/T2 factory option also isn't great. Traction and road noise are better than the Michelin but it also wears super fast. I had Hankook ATMs on my Tacoma years ago and those were pretty solid.

Manufacturers tend to make certain tires specifically for OEMs. They are built to a price point and for good fuel economy, not much else. Ford isn't alone here. GM was using some sort of Goodyear tire on the Silverado that was laughably bad and Toyota used to use Dunlops on the Tacoma that were nicknamed Dunflop on the forums.

Only way you tend to get away from this is to get performance or off road oriented models. I think the Tremor comes with the Grabber ATX which is a really solid tire, and GM was (might still be) using Duratracs on ZR2 models.
 

yhzt’bird

Member
First Name
Gordon
Joined
Mar 19, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
21
Reaction score
14
Location
Nova Scotia
Vehicles
2002 Thunderbird, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks, 2025 F150 Lariat 502A Marsh Grey SC
Occupation
retired engineer
I agree with js312, the LTX (now called Defender LTX M/S 2) is a superior tire. Great quiet smooth ride on my F150. I had the Primacy tire on our 2020 Escape and they wore out well before 35,000 km. Michelin gave me a 60 percent discount on replacement tires, the LTX version for the Escape.
 

Ed21

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
May 19, 2021
Threads
17
Messages
366
Reaction score
290
Location
Illinois
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
My 4 year old Primacy’s are holding up great. Tow 6,000 lb. TT. Have 40,000 miles on truck. Keep inflated at 35# all the time. Do recommended rotations. No dry rot or uneven wear or any other problems noticed. Still have good tread. Can’t complain about them. Just drove through 10.5” of snow in Michigan UP a couple of weeks ago. (Surprised me).
 

Sponsored

js312

Well-known member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Dec 12, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
333
Reaction score
268
Location
New England
Vehicles
2023 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Director
I agree with js312, the LTX (now called Defender LTX M/S 2) is a superior tire. Great quiet smooth ride on my F150. I had the Primacy tire on our 2020 Escape and they wore out well before 35,000 km. Michelin gave me a 60 percent discount on replacement tires, the LTX version for the Escape.
I avoided trying Michelin tires for a while even though everything pointed me to the LTX being my ideal tire. Because the Primacy was so bad, I was worried the feedback on the LTX was exaggerated. Companies do themselves no favors by putting their names on garbage.
 

FaaWrenchBndr

Well-known member
First Name
Greg
Joined
Jun 23, 2024
Threads
13
Messages
2,552
Reaction score
2,555
Location
Denver, IN
Vehicles
‘24 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Semi retired aircraft mechanic
None of the factory installed tires are honestly worth a crap. I will say I’ve had pretty good luck with the Perelli’s but if the truck sits a week or so they do flat spot. The flat spots work themselves out in about two or 3 miles, but it is irritating.
 

JCsTruck

Well-known member
First Name
John
Joined
May 26, 2024
Threads
17
Messages
881
Reaction score
883
Location
Worcester MA
Vehicles
2025 Reg Cab 2WD Work Truck XL with 2.7 + 2024 Supercab XL 4x4 with 5.0 V8
Occupation
Project Manager, formerly Construction Superintendent, formerly ASE A1-A8 Tech.
I just went back to Michelin LTX all seasons on my work truck after the horrible experience with Firestone tires that would not balance. What a difference. Micheline LTX are much better!
 

franksfords

Well-known member
First Name
Frank
Joined
Apr 1, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
124
Reaction score
146
Location
US ,Alabama
Vehicles
2004 F150,2007 Explorer,2018 Explorer,2023 F150
Occupation
computer technician
I find it odd that a tire maker would make the exact same tire you can go buy at a local tire shop different for an auto maker. I guess it's possible. Seems the cost of setting up machines for different compound combinations and keeping them warehoused separately from the "street" version wouldn't be worth the cost. My 2018 Explorer still has factory Michelins . They've got 54K on them and I think they'll make it to 60K. I've never had to have them balanced only rotated. Still ride and handle like new. Company F150 I drive came with the Michelin Primacy. We ran it to around 70K and replace them all because one got damaged and it was getting about time for a set.
Sponsored

 
 







Top