Sponsored

Have a case number with Ford over my cold start noise

dave91gt

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
55
Reaction score
37
Location
WV
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
My local dealer has been great- I’ve sent lots of videos and they have forwarded mine and one other to Ford engineering. But I’m running out of patience with wanting to get some resolution. Truck is an Oct build 21 5.0 502A Lariat. Every single cold start it sounds terrible. Hopefully my video clip comes through. It sounds like cavitation and it drowns out any other sound the truck makes. Once it warms up and settles down to a normal idle rpm, it completely stops. Just the whine of the 10 speed. My dealer recommended I call customer care (?) and get a case number. We had a group call today and the case manager was very eager to help the dealer get pointed to a diagnosis. Fingers crossed! My only complaint with this truck.
View attachment 46489
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

dave91gt

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
55
Reaction score
37
Location
WV
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition

Jerry Can

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2021
Threads
10
Messages
162
Reaction score
179
Location
Calgary
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
That’s really interesting considering that your truck doesn't appear to be a Powerboost, and most places don’t currently have the cold ambient temperatures that were causing this issue. You should try uploading your video here and to the thread I linked to. There‘s a lot of people who are still looking for the cause and solution to this issue, including myself
 

Gros Ventre

Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Nov 13, 2021
Threads
47
Messages
2,690
Reaction score
1,815
Location
Western Wyoming
Vehicles
Powerboost
I had that problem. Turned out to be low fluid. I had two case numbers... At the end of the day I found the Ford people less than productive. They were hard to talk to and took no responsibility for communicating with dealers. Once I saw the same thing twice (eg 1 & 1/2 quarts low) I knew the answer. The good news is that it doesn't appear that any real damage was done. However, my gut says if it keeps up, eventually damage will happen.
 

Sponsored

Jerry Can

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2021
Threads
10
Messages
162
Reaction score
179
Location
Calgary
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I had that problem. Turned out to be low fluid.
I got the impression from the other thread that low transmission fluid may or may not be the problem. Though I do plan to have the level checked during my next service.
 
OP
OP

dave91gt

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
55
Reaction score
37
Location
WV
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
I am stumped as to why it only does it after the truck has sat. It sounds like it is coming from the bellhousing area. It stops hammering after it runs for a bit. Extremely embarrassing.
 
OP
OP

dave91gt

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
55
Reaction score
37
Location
WV
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
Just providing a follow up- truck now has 5500 miles. Dealer at my request put truck on lift overnight and did a remote start with camera rolling from under the truck. Sent to Engineering. They are replacing trans, torque converter, and cooler. The sound is loudest at front pump / torque converter area. I’m relieved they put up no conversation about trying to tear the trans apart and start fishing for the noise. Just full replacement. I’ll keep you updated! Truck is driving and shifting great in the meantime.
 

dison4linux

New member
First Name
Jon
Joined
May 7, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Indianapolis
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XLT
I know this is a super old thread but I wonder if this was the deal with yours?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2024/MC-10250847-0001.pdf
It's SSM 52295 talking about noise from the bellhousing area caused by torque converter studs hitting the separator plate.
I only ask, because I just got a brand new F-150 and it has some noise down there too, and I'm wondering if that's it. I tried searching the forums for "52295" but didn't come up with much so it doesn't seem like a very common problem.
Sponsored

 
 







Top