Sponsored

360 cameras stop working with a new mirror on

ontheroad

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
WA
Vehicles
2024 Powerboost Lariat
My truck (24 hybrid lariat 501a) has to be replaced with a new passenger side mirror (towing mirror) due to small accident which cracked the mirror. The damage to the mirror was mostly cosmetic and 360 camera still works after the incident. However, with a new side mirror installed, the cameras no longer work. What is strange is that without the passenger side camera plugged in, the driver side and front camera still works. But as soon as the new camera is plugged in, driver side and front camera would stop working. (The new mirror also refused to be programmed)

I am wondering if anyone has seen such strange issues or not. I know that chance is slim but thought that at least it is worth posting for the community to be interested (Dealer is working on this but they hadn't seen this strange symphtom previously)
Sponsored

 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
Have to swap out the camera from the other mirror. 21-3 have different camera from the 24+.
 
OP
OP

ontheroad

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
WA
Vehicles
2024 Powerboost Lariat
Thanks HammaMan! That's a great point.

So, to repeat my understanding so that I do not misunderstand it: the replacement mirror is likely a part shared with 21-3 (as probably ford's part system isn't up-to-date with 24 model). Just for the sake of double confirming: does the front camera/back camera have the same compatibility issue? (aka, do they need replacement as well?)

I will talk with the dealer tomorrow to try out the old mirror as well before they start dismantling related systems.....
 

HammaMan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Threads
123
Messages
8,526
Reaction score
9,934
Location
SE US
Vehicles
2022 307a PB
All cameras are different w/ 24+ --- They're all the same camera FWIW. Simply pull the camera out of the damaged mirror and put it into the replacement mirror and it will work.
 
OP
OP

ontheroad

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
WA
Vehicles
2024 Powerboost Lariat
Great. Thanks! I will talk to dealer tomorrow and keep this thread updated once we find a solution.

Curious: do you know what cameras (aka manufacturer) were in 21-3 and what cameras are now in 24+?
 

Sponsored

OP
OP

ontheroad

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
WA
Vehicles
2024 Powerboost Lariat
Just of follow up on this: between a bunch of going back and forth, dealer finally was able to just use the old camera after getting "recommendation" from ford hotline. I still doubt that there is a standard procedure defined for this as this took way too long than needed (3 weeks vs really one hour needed). So this could happen to someone else in the future.

Speaking of that, I happen to load forscan for something else but noticed that a few IPMA dtc codes were still left behind or present. The cameras are working so not sure if those actually matter.......
 

SilverPigeon

Well-known member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Apr 27, 2022
Threads
19
Messages
1,410
Reaction score
1,511
Location
Australia
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
...Speaking of that, I happen to load forscan for something else but noticed that a few IPMA dtc codes were still left behind or present. The cameras are working so not sure if those actually matter.......
Depends what codes they are. You may need to do the 360 camera calibration service procedure In FORScan.
 

adyaro77

Well-known member
First Name
Anthony
Joined
Sep 23, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
432
Reaction score
317
Location
Clay Township
Vehicles
2024 F-150
Occupation
Electrician
Great. Thanks! I will talk to dealer tomorrow and keep this thread updated once we find a solution.

Curious: do you know what cameras (aka manufacturer) were in 21-3 and what cameras are now in 24+?
What's furthermore crazy as Ford accessories just posted the 21 to 23 mirrors working for not only the 24s, but the 25s. Literally posting the exact same part number. I had my dealership contact Ford accessories hoping that maybe there was an engineering fix. I installed my 24 cameras on the 21 to 23 Tow Mirrors that I have. Unfortunately I have a stitching issue....anyways.....

I posted this in the topic that I made, but I'll post it again here..... Ford responded that you have to use your cameras off your 24' or 25' in these new mirrors. They also added that there is no way to align the overhead 360 view. Meaning the stitching cannot be approved upon and it's within specs.

Now this may not seem like a big deal, but back when I was having the issue Ford told my dealership that I was making a modification to my truck. Back in June Ford considered this a modification with no support. Back then we knew that I had to swap the cameras. So many dealerships were getting no help at all from Ford when dealing with this issue. Unfortunately because the cameras are mounted in two separate positions you will have a stitching issue. Now it's minor but there is a difference.

Last summer Ford accessories pulled their Tow Mirrors with cameras for the 24's because they discovered the issue.... The fact that they reposted them on Ford accessories recently most were hoping that there was an engineering fix for the alignment issue... There is still so much damn confusion over this.

And then to add insult to injury apparently now there's two different cameras in the 24s.....
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

ontheroad

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
WA
Vehicles
2024 Powerboost Lariat
I had those DTC code. (I read somewhere else that TCU code can be ignored...)
===TCU DTC U211B:51-0B===
Code: U211B - Control Module Message Authentication

Additional Fault Symptom :)51):
- Not Programmed

Status (-0B):
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Telematic Control Unit Module

===END TCU DTC U211B:51-0B===

===IPMA DTC U211B:43-2B===
Code: U211B - Control Module Message Authentication

Additional Fault Symptom :)43):
- Special Memory Failure

Status (-2B):
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Image Processing Module A

===END IPMA DTC U211B:43-2B===

===IPMA DTC U211B:51-6C===
Code: U211B - Control Module Message Authentication

Additional Fault Symptom :)51):
- Not Programmed

Status (-6C):
- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Image Processing Module A

===END IPMA DTC U211B:51-6C===

I was told that the programming and alignment were done. Maybe they forgot to clear the code afterwards? Anyway, the cameras seem to work fine and I will probably just leave that as is to avoid making things worse...
 
OP
OP

ontheroad

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
WA
Vehicles
2024 Powerboost Lariat
Sorry to hear the complicated situations in your case. Honestly, this particular issue looks so solvable yet it seems that it just has been dancing around, which leads me to believe that maybe ford isn't in full control?

What's furthermore crazy as Ford accessories just posted the 21 to 23 mirrors working for not only the 24s, but the 25s. Literally posting the exact same part number. I had my dealership contact Ford accessories hoping that maybe there was an engineering fix. I installed my 24 cameras on the 21 to 23 Tow Mirrors that I have. Unfortunately I have a stitching issue....anyways.....

I posted this in the topic that I made, but I'll post it again here..... Ford responded that you have to use your cameras off your 24' or 25' in these new mirrors. They also added that there is no way to align the overhead 360 view. Meaning the stitching cannot be approved upon and it's within specs.

Now this may not seem like a big deal, but back when I was having the issue Ford told my dealership that I was making a modification to my truck. Back in June Ford considered this a modification with no support. Back then we knew that I had to swap the cameras. So many dealerships were getting no help at all from Ford when dealing with this issue. Unfortunately because the cameras are mounted in two separate positions you will have a stitching issue. Now it's minor but there is a difference.

Last summer Ford accessories pulled their Tow Mirrors with cameras for the 24's because they discovered the issue.... The fact that they reposted them on Ford accessories recently most were hoping that there was an engineering fix for the alignment issue... There is still so much damn confusion over this.

And then to add insult to injury apparently now there's two different cameras in the 24s.....
 

MZ NJ

Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Aug 24, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Vehicles
2024 Ford F150 Platinum
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help here. I did the camera swap today in about an hour after getting frustrated with the dealer when they could not calibrate the new towing mirrors to get them working. I thought that Ford engineers would have ironed this issue out already but I guess not. After a 15 min calibration of the 360 cameras in a parking lot and forscan all is working great! For anyone thinking the dealer can make the cameras work and switching the cameras is too complex….just switch the cameras and save the frustration with the dealer.
Sponsored

 
 







Top