Sponsored

Capless gas filler cover?

DT400

Well-known member
First Name
Darrell
Joined
Sep 14, 2021
Threads
31
Messages
236
Reaction score
162
Location
Colorado
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
It boggles the mind that an engineer in their right mind thought a capless gas filler was a good idea and a non-replaceable fuel filter was also a good idea in the same system...neither are a bright idea on their own but coupled together in the same system is just idiocy.

I stumbled across a cap for the capless system....basically its a 3d printed plastic slip on cover to help keep dirt and dust off of the little filler flap...a decent idea but wrong material if you ask me. I don't think it would seal very well.
Anyway, has anyone come up, or found, a good slip on cap for the capless filler???

Darrell
Sponsored

 

fordtruckman2003

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2023
Threads
26
Messages
4,587
Reaction score
3,746
Location
Indy
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
12 years with same design on my last F-150 and I'm not sure why this is a concern. You shouldn't be getting dirt around that if your fuel door is closed and it can easily be wiped off if necessary. I'm more annoyed that mine seems to be loose and I can wiggle it around.
 

gregs150xlt

Well-known member
First Name
Greg
Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
218
Reaction score
165
Location
Tennessee
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
There used to be such an item. It was called a "plug". Part # 8U5Z9C268B

Obviously, it was never very popular, and Ford never came up with another model to fit the current gen F150's. Last year for the F150 was 2014.

Guess enough people weren't concerned about this, so the idea sorta subsided.

Ford F-150 Capless gas filler cover? plu
Ford F-150 Capless gas filler cover? plug2
 

JohngaltinOC

Well-known member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Mar 11, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
219
Reaction score
149
Location
Orange County ca
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
It boggles the mind that an engineer in their right mind thought a capless gas filler was a good idea and a non-replaceable fuel filter was also a good idea in the same system...neither are a bright idea on their own but coupled together in the same system is just idiocy.

I stumbled across a cap for the capless system....basically its a 3d printed plastic slip on cover to help keep dirt and dust off of the little filler flap...a decent idea but wrong material if you ask me. I don't think it would seal very well.
Anyway, has anyone come up, or found, a good slip on cap for the capless filler???

Darrell
I have always wondered "why"? In this day and age, no cap AND no locking door? Anyone can siphon our tank, or some mischievous teenager can put who knows what into our tank? Why are they asking for trouble for no logical reason?
 

gregs150xlt

Well-known member
First Name
Greg
Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
218
Reaction score
165
Location
Tennessee
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
I have always wondered "why"? In this day and age, no cap AND no locking door? Anyone can siphon our tank, or some mischievous teenager can put who knows what into our tank? Why are they asking for trouble for no logical reason?
The "capless" design is a lot more complex than you would think. There are several flaps that the gas nozzle has to push on before it is in the fill nozzle.

In addition to your comment, there are millions of cars on the road without locking doors, and screw off caps.
 

Sponsored

gregs150xlt

Well-known member
First Name
Greg
Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
218
Reaction score
165
Location
Tennessee
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
There are essentially two doors/flaps a gas nozzie has to push thru to enter the filler neck.
the first cap looks like its to keep dust out. the second flap is down into the neck a bit and requires a larger circumference to push thru the second flap (like a gas pump filler).

Note, however, everyone has that white plastic funnel provided with your vehicle if you have the capless design, so with that added, the design does NOT totally eliminate someone gaining access to your gas tank.

Ford F-150 Capless gas filler cover? CAP11
Ford F-150 Capless gas filler cover? CAP22
Ford F-150 Capless gas filler cover? CAP333
 

JohngaltinOC

Well-known member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Mar 11, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
219
Reaction score
149
Location
Orange County ca
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
The "capless" design is a lot more complex than you would think. There are several flaps that the gas nozzle has to push on before it is in the fill nozzle.

In addition to your comment, there are millions of cars on the road without locking doors, and screw off caps.
Never researched the design, but I've always "assumed" it's more complex than just the one flap. But you know what they say about that word.
Not being argumentative with you, but the fact that there's millions of repeats of a lazy or poorly designed component (aka cheaper) coming from a auto manufacturer doesn't win the debate in my mind. I just feel like we should have the option of locking our front door or leaving it open, it's an easy fix to lock the door, how much can it affect the price of a $70k truck?
 

gregs150xlt

Well-known member
First Name
Greg
Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
218
Reaction score
165
Location
Tennessee
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
Never researched the design, but I've always "assumed" it's more complex than just the one flap. But you know what they say about that word.
Not being argumentative with you, but the fact that there's millions of repeats of a lazy or poorly designed component (aka cheaper) coming from a auto manufacturer doesn't win the debate in my mind. I just feel like we should have the option of locking our front door or leaving it open, it's an easy fix to lock the door, how much can it affect the price of a $70k truck?
It is what it is, if the issue bothers you that much, you probably shouldn't have bought the truck.
You paid $70K for your truck???
 

tbinmd

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
946
Reaction score
791
Location
USA
Vehicles
22 KR F150
With emissions requirements if the cap less design didn't seal, it wouldn't be approved for use.
Been using it for 10 years without issue. I like not having to worry about the cap, compared to my other vehicle.
 

Sponsored


Sneezy

Well-known member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Nov 29, 2022
Threads
21
Messages
272
Reaction score
438
Location
Blueberry$1
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I have always wondered "why"? In this day and age, no cap AND no locking door? Anyone can siphon our tank, or some mischievous teenager can put who knows what into our tank? Why are they asking for trouble for no logical reason?
Here in the PNW they will just drill a hole in your fuel tank. They get what they need to fill their 5 gallon jug, then let the rest drain on the ground ?
 

JohngaltinOC

Well-known member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Mar 11, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
219
Reaction score
149
Location
Orange County ca
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
It is what it is, if the issue bothers you that much, you probably shouldn't have bought the truck.
You paid $70K for your truck???
Naw, doesn't bother me at all, just conversation about what I thought was an odd choice of design. I rounded up, but I know others have spent more. For a pickup truck, crazy I know. Thank God my wife never really asked about that number!
 

JohngaltinOC

Well-known member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Mar 11, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
219
Reaction score
149
Location
Orange County ca
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
Here in the PNW they will just drill a hole in your fuel tank. They get what they need to fill their 5 gallon jug, then let the rest drain on the ground ?
Lol, I think that speaks more about my age, than it does about your area. Don't think battery power tools was a thing yet when I was a teen. Wouldn't make a good criminal nowadays I guess...pretty messed up thing to do tho!
Sponsored

 
 







Top