Sponsored

Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats

BostonWLS

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 28, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
57
Reaction score
33
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicles
2023 F150
Really find the underseat storage useful and want to use it. But with car seats installed it is impossible to access as the seats can't be folded up. I am looking at modifying it by cutting the front so I can still slide things in and out. Wondering if anyone else is facing this issue, has done anything to modify it, or has found a better option to replace the stock.

I don't want to just take it out and go with bins or something like that as I like how it is all locked in place. Just want to make a fixed underseat storage that is accesible with car seats installed. Hoping someone else has done something before I go cutting. Once I start there is no going back.

Thanks!
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

BostonWLS

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 28, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
57
Reaction score
33
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicles
2023 F150
Saw those. $500 is a lot for storage. Would rather modify for that much. They are nice though.
 

Lricaud81

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 20, 2023
Threads
72
Messages
986
Reaction score
514
Location
Louisiana
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Really find the underseat storage useful and want to use it. But with car seats installed it is impossible to access as the seats can't be folded up. I am looking at modifying it by cutting the front so I can still slide things in and out. Wondering if anyone else is facing this issue, has done anything to modify it, or has found a better option to replace the stock.

I don't want to just take it out and go with bins or something like that as I like how it is all locked in place. Just want to make a fixed underseat storage that is accesible with car seats installed. Hoping someone else has done something before I go cutting. Once I start there is no going back.

Thanks!
I feel your pain. Can't lift seat with car seats installed. Pain to have to take out just to get to storage. Hopefully someone has a reasonable solution to try.
 
OP
OP

BostonWLS

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 28, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
57
Reaction score
33
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicles
2023 F150
Yes major pain. Don’t miss my Ram but miss the under floor storage and the ability to access the under seat storage with the car seats in. I will definitely be the guinea pig to modify if no one else has a solution but want to throw it out there first.
 
OP
OP

BostonWLS

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 28, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
57
Reaction score
33
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicles
2023 F150
OK finally got this project done. Actually much easier than I anticipated.

I had a custom sub box made on the driver side and was able to incorporate that to look seamless. I also wanted to utilize the original OEM undeseat storage as the base so It would flow into the floor mat and finish off the edges near the door threshold like OEM. The carpet at those areas was bascially permanantly squished from the plastic being on the carpet it's whole life.

I started by completely gutting the stock underseat storage and making the top of the bottom part that remained smooth and flat to allow the box to sit on it. Did this with a multi tool and grinder. This part will never be seen so no worries on making it look perfect. In my case i also cut out exactly where the sub box sits. For the holes left behind by the mounting points on the driver side where the sub bix is I just used some EVA foam (hydroturf) and layered some pieces (no picture of that unfortunately). What I also discovered is that in order to remove the bolts that act as studs on the driver side you have to drop the gas tank. I didn't want to get into that mainly because I had just filled the tank and it is winter so too cold. I just cut the bolts down and left them shorter. Here is what I had left of the OEM piece once I was done cutting. One thing to note is that you have to drill out the hinges from the back side in order to get everything apart.

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7651


I then made an MDF box with 3" high sides. This will allow for items to be slide in and out with the seats down. Basic construction just glue and nails. I didn't rabbet out anything as the box is small and this was plenty strong. I also added a lip on the top as I am using EVA foam on the inside to add a little bit of water resistance and make it softer. I also made a small filler piece that goes next to the sub box on the driver side that you'll see in the finished photos.

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7646

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7647


Then I just wrapped it in black subwoofer carpet I got off the jungle website. I lined the inside with EVA foam (hydroturf) I had left over from turfing jetskis. I ended up using spray adhesive I had left over from another project. Any brand will work. You could also use contact cement if you have some of that laying around.

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7649

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7650


At this point I was ready to install everything. At first I was going to screw everything in to the OEM plast piece from the bottom but once I test fit it was very tight with just friction and It would make the sub easier to remove if I every had to. I also now do not have to drill through the bottom of the box to bolt everything down to the threaded holes in the floor. I still may do that but for now I just used the bolt down points on the OEM plastic piece and dropped the storage box and filler piece in. Here is the finished product. Also for reference the sub box is perfectly in line with the bottom of the seat so you can see how much room there is to slide items in and out.

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7654

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7653

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7655

Ford F-150 Modifying Locking Underseat Storage For Use With Car Seats IMG_7656


I am really happy with how everything came out. Perfect OEM fit with the floor mat by leaving the stock piece on the bottom AND most importantly the ability to get to the underseat storage with the car seats installed and the seats down. This would basically look identical just longer without the sub box there.

If anyone was wondering the MDF was 2'x4' 1/2" sheet that was $25. If you were going to make it the full length you'd probably have to get a 4'x8' sheet. The subwoofer carpet was $20 and I have a ton left over. EVA foam, glue, nails I all had on hand. So I am only into this for $45. You could easily do the whole box in carpet too. But if you also wanted to do EVA foam and had to buy nails and glue I think it could be done for less than $100.

Hopefully this helps someone who was facing the same annoyance as me. Have a good one.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 







Top