Sponsored

ROBB1

Well-known member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Oct 10, 2021
Threads
0
Messages
289
Reaction score
370
Location
NC
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Well my question in regards to the current draw is this. The current draw for the projectors is not on the BCM.. Its the BCM b.. each side has a fuse dedicated to the lights. The output from the bcm is actually a turn on for a relay in the BCMB and the low beam output is a turn on to the module in the headllamp that has its power from external source the BCMB. I retrofitted the projectors into my halogen truck and know the circuit really well. The bcm has no real direct power draw of any consequence with the LED lights. In fact it would have more a power draw with halogen since those are driven directly from the BCM both high and low beam and fog light. THe LED fogs are powered by the BCMB the DLR wont even turn on without the power circuit from the fuses in the BCMB.
That is true. All of the configurations use the same fuses from the BCMC. However the behavior of the BCM as a "pass through" is different between the various headlamp configurations. Between Halogen, LED, and DSS configs there are differences in as-built for the BCM. I maybe oversimplifying my comment. I think it more relates to the capability of the BCM PWM controls capability, not max current from the fuse in the BCMC. The wiring diagrams do not adequately show what the BCM is doing with the input, just that it has a transistor, but we know it is acting as a PWM. Again it is just a theory.

There is more than one factor at play though, the LED lamp DRL and LED fog DRL are tied to the same PWM output from the BCM, but all reports show only one string (fog or headlamp DRL string flickering and only one side) this is for vehicles equipped with both (the raptor is different).

Without an oscilloscope hooked up while reproducing the issue I can't say for sure what going on.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

Well-known member
First Name
AJ
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Threads
40
Messages
671
Reaction score
427
Location
Alberta, Canada
Vehicles
'24 F-150 Raptor (Avalanche Grey)
Occupation
Wildland Firefighter Supervisor
You would revert the left and right DRL lamp config back to stock. Then change the Dim duty cycle to whichever you desired.

Stock DRL Fixed Bright is 100%
Stock DRL Fixed Dim is 10%
You would just be setting the brightness of the dim from 10% to whichever you want. I currently have mine at 75%.
Ah got it, thanks for the clarification! Appreciate it! (y)
 

abd79

Well-known member
First Name
Wayne
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
341
Reaction score
133
Location
Canada
Vehicles
2025 F-150 Raptor
Ok I set the fixed dim duty cycle to 75% this morning. It had the expected effect of increasing the DRL output with the headlights or parking lights on. Even at 75% they are pretty screaming bright. I will run this way for awhile and see if the flicker comes back. If not, I will bump it 90% for testing. Honestly I think 75% is probably more than enough for the desired effect.

726-38-01 xxxx 4Bxx xx--
I have also set the dim duty cycle to %75 (4B) and will monitor as well. Fingers crossed this is the proper way to increase brightness without flickering.
 
Last edited:

jcaspar

Well-known member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
481
Reaction score
437
Location
Sacramento CA
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I originally brightened by DRL with BCM: 726-42-01 -> x2x2 - XXXX - XXXX
but am now thinking of dimming them to 85% with 726-38-01 xxxx 55XX XX--
Do I need to restore the original 726-42-01 code or do both need to be changed.
Thanks
 

Jesse-Infotainment

Well-known member
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Joined
May 27, 2021
Threads
9
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
6,401
Location
Dallas
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning
Does anyone have an update? Anyone have flicker after the duty cycle change?
 

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

Well-known member
First Name
AJ
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Threads
40
Messages
671
Reaction score
427
Location
Alberta, Canada
Vehicles
'24 F-150 Raptor (Avalanche Grey)
Occupation
Wildland Firefighter Supervisor

ROBB1

Well-known member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Oct 10, 2021
Threads
0
Messages
289
Reaction score
370
Location
NC
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
@ROBB1, any updates yet?
So far I am happy to report no flicker

Edit to add: I have done a far bit of driving at this point with no noticed flicker, so I am feeling pretty good about the duty cycle change. Currently @ 75% and pretty happy with the brightness as well.
 
Last edited:

ROBB1

Well-known member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Oct 10, 2021
Threads
0
Messages
289
Reaction score
370
Location
NC
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I originally brightened by DRL with BCM: 726-42-01 -> x2x2 - XXXX - XXXX
but am now thinking of dimming them to 85% with 726-38-01 xxxx 55XX XX--
Do I need to restore the original 726-42-01 code or do both need to be changed.
Thanks
You will need to roll back to stock on 726-42-01 before the duty cycle change in 726-38-01 will work.
 

Sponsored


abd79

Well-known member
First Name
Wayne
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
341
Reaction score
133
Location
Canada
Vehicles
2025 F-150 Raptor
No flicker here with the duty cycle set to 75%. Would always flicker if set the other way.
Update: I’ve done a few trucks now with this mod using the %75 duty cycle and surprisingly some still flicker. I ended up going down to %60 which didn’t noticeably change the light output but is solid with no flicker.
 

antho

Well-known member
First Name
Anthony
Joined
Sep 20, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Houston, Texas
Vehicles
2024 Raptor 37
Update: I’ve done a few trucks now with this mod using the %75 duty cycle and surprisingly some still flicker. I ended up going down to %60 which didn’t noticeably change the light output but is solid with no flicker.
Crazy. I'll probably bump mine down too then.
 
OP
OP
Nightshade

Nightshade

Well-known member
First Name
AJ
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Threads
40
Messages
671
Reaction score
427
Location
Alberta, Canada
Vehicles
'24 F-150 Raptor (Avalanche Grey)
Occupation
Wildland Firefighter Supervisor

abd79

Well-known member
First Name
Wayne
Joined
Aug 16, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
341
Reaction score
133
Location
Canada
Vehicles
2025 F-150 Raptor
No. But dont want to be driving around unaware if 60% is hardly a visible difference. Better be safe than sorry.
60% is way brighter still than the 10% that’s stock
Sponsored

 
 







Top