Sponsored

Musty Gym Bag Smell

jmcgurl

Member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
United States
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Hi All! I am currently dealing with a lovely gym bag smell in the cab only after it rains. I have searched the forum and have found several threads about people experiencing the same thing but only after they start their truck. Mine however is after a good rain storm when I open the door I am hit with an awful musty gym bag smell. It tends to go away or maybe my nose gets used to it after a few minutes driving in the truck but its embarrassing when I have a friend riding with. My first guess is that there is a leak into the cab somewhere but have been unsuccessful in finding one. I took it to Ford and they said the carpet behind the drivers seat was getting wet and replaced vent behind the seat. $450 dollars later I get the truck back and the next day it rained. Perfect i thought and was left down when i opened the door to the same awful smell. The only thing I can think of is the sunroof which had the motor replaced under warranty for both the sunroof and shade.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated as its awful.
Sponsored

 

Eskram

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2022
Threads
50
Messages
1,196
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Fl
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Is your truck still under warranty? I’d so, why would the charge for that and why would you pay?

Do you have a sunroof? They can leak if the drain tubes are plugged.
 

jhelrey

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2023
Threads
39
Messages
830
Reaction score
651
Location
MN
Vehicles
2024 F-150 CC Lariat 3.5PB 4X4 3.73 SB
AC? Had the musty smell in my 2011 from it.
 

Coll4646

Well-known member
First Name
Andrew
Joined
Aug 21, 2023
Threads
11
Messages
83
Reaction score
39
Location
Elgin, IL
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I have the exact same issue. Musty smell only after it rains. Can smell it when I open the door and it goes away after driving for a little bit. I haven’t spent too much time trying to figure it out but haven’t noticed anything wet.
I think it happens when the trucks in the garage and it rains too, almost like it’s more the humidity seeping in somehow then getting trapped
 
OP
OP

jmcgurl

Member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
United States
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Update: Sorry should have mentioned in my original post that yes, i have a sunroof and the motors were replaced both under warranty. And unfortunately I had to pay perviously since a vent piece is not covered under the ESP warranty.

But great news, after standing with my garden hose spraying water on only the sunroof for 10 minutes and buying an endoscope I was able to see water dripping into the cab in multiple places and see that there are small beads of water throughout the tracks. The dealer is taking the truck back in next week to do an inspection but I think this will solve the problem should they fix their original repair. It even rained yesterday and I went out to inspect the tracks and headliner and could see water in the tracks and the headliner was soaked. All problems I never had before they replaced the motors. Now the next question for them is how to get some of my money back after it seems like they were just looking for a way to charge me money. If I was told there was water in the tracks by a customer originally, I probably would have run the same test I did at home in the shop.
Sponsored

 
 







Top